Anybody In Georgia In My Area That Could Help Me With My Outboard?

ugadawg187

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking for someone who is knowledgable on a 1988 45hp merc that could help me out with the motor.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Anybody In Georgia In My Area That Could Help Me With My Outboard?

Why do you need someone in Georgia. There are a whole bunch of people here that can walk you through most any issue. What's the problem with this motor?

ugadawg187

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The info on here is very helpful no doubt but for me its easy to tell me how to do something but i feel more comfortable if someone shows me. Im looking into replacing the stator, trigger, & rectifier on my 88 45hp merc. I grew up around outboards but not working on them so this is all new to me but damn paying 90/hr labor cost plus parts to some shady mechanic ya know. I had a bad run in with a shady mechanic so im not very trusting anymore & when you do find a good mechanic the waiting list is a mile long, besides since i plan on always owning a boat it would help if i caould do the work myself i just dont have alot of the tools to test the electronics of the motor.

ugadawg187

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SILVERTIP if you look in the mercury repair section i have a thread on the problem & maybe you could give me some advice. Its listed as 1988 mercury 45hp classic 50 idling probs. Thx

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You seem to have a lot very un-specific questions about this motor so let me say you will get more answers if you ask specific questions and keep them in one thread. You say you don't trust a service dept so that leaves you with one option -- do it yourself. If that's the case, then you start by finding a service manual for your specific engine and you've been given sources for that. Check you local library as they often have these manual. Next, if you intend to do any electricl troubleshooting you need to buy a multi-tester (volt, ohm, milliammeter) which you can find at Lowes/Home Depot/Radio Shack for anywhere from $10 to $150 or more. A 10 buck unit will work for most testing.
Compression testers can be borrowed from O'Reillys and some other auto stores for free. You do need some wrenches and a socket set, screwdrivers, and allen (hex) wrenches.

Then start by actually reading the troubleshooting section of your service manual to isolate the system that is causing the problem. Then troubleshoot and isolate the part in that system. Then rebuild or replace the part rather than just throwing parts at the engine in hopes that fixes things.

Use fresh fuel, new spark plugs, check for good spark, proper plugs. Adjust idle mixture (if adjustable) and idle speed. In other words, start with the basics and progress from there.

IronOutlaw

Seaman Apprentice

I'm in bogart but can't be of much help. One of the guys at Athens marine does side work for pretty cheap he maybe able to work you a deal but he's real busy and it would take him a while. There's also a guy in goodhope who works pretty cheap but he does qualify as shadetree cause he works outta his house.

My grandfather got sent two 25 horse mercs to bond marine for carb repairs and they replaced the reed valve without asking him costing a good bit more than expected which I thought wasn't good business so I don't recommend them.

ugadawg187

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks IronOutlaw