I/o vs. Outboard for salt water mooring?

ItalianSailor

Recruit
I'm a first time boat buyer. I'm looking for a 18-20 foot bowrider. I'm planning to moor in salt water, and was wondering the pros and cons of I/O, vs. Outboard. Obviously outboards have the advantage of being out of the water, however its very difficult to find an outboard on the 'lake boat' that I am looking for. Some people have told me Outboard is the only way to go, while others say it doesn't matter so long as its well maintained. Is it total suicide to moor a I/O?

And-Con

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: I/o vs. Outboard for salt water mooring?

From my perspective, which is biased, I would say run away from the i/o. In salt water, the exhaust risers/elbows have a bad tendency to rust out from the inside. Since you're saying moor, would you be able to freshwater flush the engine after use? If it's an o/b and you can't-that's not good, but if its a sterndrive and you can't-that's essentially lethal. What would the effects on the bellows be if left in the up condition; most people with i/o's drop the leg once the trailer's parked. Most people I know of with stern drives also trailer their boats. My best advice-look at what drive systems other boats in your area use; if you see a lot of outboards, assume there's a reason, if you see a lot of stern drives, assume there's a reason.

Purely opinion, but if you want to use your boat get a direct drive or o/b, if you want to work on your boat-or pay someone else to-get a stern drive.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/stern drive left down corrosion/eshepdog/P4270215.jpg

too lazy to learn to post images. I assume yours would never get that neglected, but if there's a stray current in you're mooring area, you would be amazed how quickly you can have a serious corrosion issue.

Good luck and best of wishes with your decision.

ItalianSailor

Recruit

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm new to the boating world, and am pretty clueless. Most of my neighbors have outboards...but they also have totally different boats than I am looking at. I would get an outboard in a second if I could find one on a bowrider! Any suggestions on where to look besides Craigs List, and local dealers?

Is it possible to do a fresh water flush while the boat is still in the water? That picture is pretty scary, I wonder how long it took to get that bad. I'd moor may- October, in Boston Harbor (not the cleanest, or calmest waters).

Thanks again.:D

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

On another note, a bowrider is not a great choice for something like a harbor where you are dealing with bigger waves, etc. As you said in your first post, it's more of a lake boat. Not saying it can't be done but not the safest or best choice for a saltwater boat, especially one that will be moored. Something to think about.

Here's another, a wellcraft btw.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/boa/1785215957.html

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If I were you, I'd be looking more for a "dual console" offshore boat. Something similar to this http://www.triumphboats.com/noflash_model.cfm?mid=5593&page=PHOTOS As you can see, it's still a "bowrider" but is outboard powered, and designed more for saltwater/ big water usage. I think a standard lake runabout would just deteriorate on you too quickly in many ways unless you put in a lot of time on care and maintenance.

ItalianSailor

Recruit

Great input everyone- thanks. Few follow up questions:

I've heard bayliners are cheaply made (kind of the hyundai of boating). My dad used to have one, and did well with it, but i've been told to stay away. Any truth in this?

I also checked out those two boats on craigs list. I was hoping to go a litte newer. Most dealers have told me 10 years is the oldest I want to go without having to deal with too many headaches.

The dual console looks nice. Haven't run into any of those for sale however. I intend to use it for waterskiing, tubing, and just hanging out. I'm concerned with capacity (i'd like to be around 8 adults if possible). My dad has a parker and i've learned very quickly its not a good pleasure boat (no where to sit!). Bowriders (and the dual console) seem to be the only accomidating boats. I hate cuddys.

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

also check out hurricane, they make some comfortable bowrider outboard powered boats.

and just for the record, i also would recommend staying away from I/0s. i work on a lot of saltwater I/O boats and unless you like spending a fortune on manifolds and risers (among other things) every couple years, i wouldnt do it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I agree to check out Hurricanes and other deck boats. They sound very well tailored to your usage requirements.

Bayliners are entry level but they use the same power plants as everyone else. Well maintained they are fine boats. Unfortunately many of them were owned by newbie boaters who did not maintain them. :p

dazk14

Ensign

Having boated in the Hahbah for 40 years, I can tell you that most deck boats won't work well. You'll be taking tug waves over the bow.

Most normal bowriders do fine. The smaller ones (16/17) bounce like a cork and the bigger ones (21/22) are better able to handle the chop.

The classic easy to maintain boat is a center console with an outboard, but as you've found out - there's no dam place to sit.

In buying used, if you can find a freshwater boat, that can be ideal. Both i/o's and outboards are workable.

See what Doug Russell marine in Worcester has. You'll pay more at a dealer, but have a little more piece of mind.

You'll have a tough time finding a bigger bowrider with an outboard, because the i/o's are cheaper.

See you at George's!

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

It's pretty clear that a lot of people in this thread saying "stay away from i/o" havent actually owned one and are just going on hearsay .

First of all, a 20 foot bow rider can handle ANY harbor waves you can throw at it.......the guy wants a comfortable boat, not something with two seats and hard EVERYTHING else....

Secondly i know 100's of people at my docks and my uncles docks who NEVER flush in salt ALL summer. Never even heard of them having to replace engine parts.....

Third, an out board is great, but then you have to stare at it all season and it's a pain to get in and out of it for swimming!

ItalianSailor

Recruit

More great advice- thanks!

I talked with a boat mechanic today, who told me to STAY AWAY from I/Os. He also told me to make sure its self bailing.

I'm starting to question the durability of a bow rider in the ocean. It sounds great, but the more people I talk to, the more they point me in another direction.

I just want to make sure the boat I choose is practical for hanging with a decent number of people.:D

Thajeffski

what kind of waves are we talking?

My I/O bow rider is fine in anything up to 4-6 foot waves.

However, if we're talking 5-10 foot waves, then yes......a bow rider is probably not the best choice.

dazk14

Ensign

I feel bad for you...Every which/way the wind blows, you're torn in that direction.

"I talked with a boat mechanic today, who told me to STAY AWAY from I/Os. He also told me to make sure its self bailing."

Did he also say buy a Johnson, but never an Evinrude...

Flashback...1970. I cruised to the, "End of the world" (Nantasket beach for those unaware) in a 12' Sears Super Gamefisher with a Merc 9.8hp.

Ya, it was self bailing... MYSELF. Never took on a drop of water.

Done everything from a Silverline, Sunbird, Boston Whaler, Checkmate, Hydro-Stream, Sun Runner, Sea Ray, Regal, 34' Silverton, blah, blah, blah, not to mention COUNTLESS customers boats.

The boating season in Boston is so short, buy what you want. Just keep the sun off the interior while it's moored and you'll be happy with your boat.

You're looking for the best value in a used boat.

If you want what most people have, get something that never gets used and sits in a dock or mooring.

Just be glad the jellyfish haven't turned poisonous, like in LI Sound!

Thajeffski

yes I boat in LI sound and those jelly fish are a *****!!

Dan19720

Seaman Apprentice

I just picked up a Wellcraft Sportsman 180 with a Yamaha F115 4 stroke outboard. It has seating for 6, and can take some quite large waves. (As I found out the first day I had it out. Some joker in a 40-50 foot yacht was coming down the C&D canal in Maryland at wot. Not much room to avoid his wake. )

Wellcraft also makes a 21 foot version. The 210 Sportsman.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK, so Bayliners are cheap, IOs are junk. Funny thing is my bayliner 2452 is a 1992 , alpha 1 with 2295 hours on it and spent its entire life moored all summer in salt water. they make anodes and antifouling paint for a reason, stray current wont affect you unless your boat has a shore power system and is plugged in. they also make galvanic isolators just for this situation. go and buy the boat you want, have it profesionaly checked over, if it passes go boating and have fun:)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

there's a reason you don't see many bow rider I/O boats in a salt water harbor. The reasons are explained above.

Those who say there's no place to sit in a center console are talking out there drain plug hole. It depends on the model. The boat manufacturers have been making boats that are both fishing and family friendly. Unlike the wide-open parker, most have a bow platform area that, with cushions, seats a whole lot more people than a crowded sofa boat. Then there's two at the console and two in the stern, and the seat in front of the console for 1-2 more. In those at 21'+, room in the console for a head (for small folks, granted).

As an example, look at the Sea Hunt Ultra, which says:
The Ultra Series
This Series of boats was created for the people who enjoy different water activities. Fishing, skiing, pleasure cruising, you can do it all with this one. Ultra?s are equipped with all the fishing features of our Triton series like livewells and rod racks. Added standard features include a rear bench seat with cushions, wrap around bolsters, bow cushions, and waterproof JBL stereo?s with Ipod connectors. Can one boat have it all? With the Ultra Series we believe it can.

http://seahuntboats.com/index.php?o...cle&id=70:ultra-210&catid=20:ultras&Itemid=90

Thajeffski

there's a reason you don't see many bow rider I/O boats in a salt water harbor. The reasons are explained above.

I see A TON of I/O BR boats in my salt water harbor.. the boats directly next to me are both I/O br. I'll take pics of all the ones I see today.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I've done it here on the North Shore Long Island for 7 seasons...and here's the main issues:
1) marine growth...if its bad where you would moor your boat...keep in mind the anti fouling paint for aluminum does not work that well and you can get barnacles EVERYWHERE
2) if in a maina with stray currents...corrosion can be a MAJOR problem...

if the fouling issue is not bad and it's in a mooring field without shorepower then it's not that bad...but you will have do do more maintenance by far than if you had an OB...but the simple I/O engine is fine for do it yourselfers if you ever worked on a Chevy smallblock back in the day like me....