How watertight is your boat?

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class
I picked up a 1984 Islander last summer and always had some water in the bildge. The pump would kick on but not too often and when I pulled the boat out at the end of the day a fair amount would always drain out. I never did actually measure how much but I would have to guess a couple of gallons. The bellows all were OK so I figured leaking rivets that I would get too when I re-do the floors, which was supposed to have been last fall.

This year the pump cycled more often so I checked and found water leaking into the bildge over the inner transom plate but I couldnt for the life of me see where it was coming from. I brought it in to a local shop and they found what they said was "exhaust tube bolts/nuts were loose". I had the boat out for 5 hours the other day, pump never came on at all and at the ramp when I pulled the drain plug MAYBE half a quart of water came out and most of that was probably water from the previous outing!! I am one happy camper now! It cost me $50.00 for them to float the boat, find the leaks and tighten things up which I thought was more than fair.

I am planning on doing the floors, interior side panels, and dealing with soggy spots on the lower outside corners of the transom this fall, as well as a fresh coat of paint. As this is a fishin boat, the restoration will be function over beauty. I will be sure to post up with pics and prolly lots of questions as I get into it but for now it may not be pretty but she is watertight, motor just purrs like a kitten, and the fish are bitting good. Take er easy....Dan

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: How watertight is your boat?

All good boats leak. :D

When I took mine out for the maiden voyage I got a trickle of water that ran to the back. Not sure where it came from (the lake :p), did what I could to seal it up. When I got it home I tilted the front way up and didnt get any water draining out :confused:.