Why dry the hull?

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I've occasionally seen people towel drying the hull of their boat after a day on the water and it always leaves me scratching my head a bit. I mean the damn things are designed to get wet right? What is a couple more minutes of drip drying going to do to them? Maybe there's a secret I just don't know about. Can anyone enlighten me?

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Why dry the hull?

I can understand it if the hull is a dark color as spotting becomes very noticible but on a white hull I wouldn't bother. And, I don't bother.

Burtonair01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do it to keep the hull looking pristine and so it doesn't get water spots. I'm kinda weird when it comes to my toys, I like them looking brand new at all times!

lrlima

Petty Officer 1st Class

Make sure cruddy lake water doesnt leave a water mark? Pride of ownership? In NC we have a lot of red clay instead of dirt so the boat can get a stained in waterline mark and its a pain to get off if not wiped ever outing or so.

lonemust

Petty Officer 1st Class

Probable to help reduce cross contamintion between bodies of water.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I don't get it either. In all my years of boating I've yet to see anyone towel drying their boat at the ramp or anywhere else for that matter.

Then again, I use a garden hose and salt water to wash the blood out of the cockpit on a regular basis. I don't cover my boat while in the slip or on the lift and I also don't sit at the helm making motor noises while sitting in the drive way either. :D:D

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I do it for two reasons. The first being that the water I boat in is muddy, so by drying it after every outing it prevents brown stain from developing and because it allows me to look the hul over so I can find and fix damage right away.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Why do you wash your cars? Why do you wash dishes? Why do you sweep the floor? Why do you wash out the blood, you're probably gonna catch another fish someday right? . . . Why open your eyes while you're awake, you're just gonna close them when you go back to sleep? Sorry to be so confused, but I am . . . :confused:

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

haha that had me rolling...

I wipe mine down with white vinegar to remove the water spots and grime as soon as it comes out of the water. thats it for me though, purely to remove water spots so its easier to wax/clean next time.

QC

Supreme Mariner

One of the other Mods made me tone my post down . . . See even we can get into trouble . . . :rolleyes: :D

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why do you wash your cars? Why do you wash dishes? Why do you sweep the floor? Why do you wash out the blood, you're probably gonna catch another fish someday right? . . . Why open your eyes while you're awake, you're just gonna close them when you go back to sleep? Sorry to be so confused, but I am . . . :confused:

I'm not referring to "washing" anything here. This is someone drying their boat off after pulling it out of the water. I guess I could understand it if you're in muddy water that could end up leaving a stain or dirt. But we've got very clean fresh water up here.

I'm not trying to put anyone down for doing this. Just wondering if there is a good reason to be doing it.

LadyFish

Admiral

We actually wash ours after every use. Wiping it down is great for fresh water if you have spots. As someone said earlier, it makes it easier to see imperfections in the hull after you come in off the water so that you can tend to them right away.

Besides, it makes your boat look pretty going down the road. :p;)

Now, if we had a 14' aluminum boat, we would not be doing this.

TimBobCom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Muddy water (Mississippi River) will leave brown stains on my pristine white and yellow hull, so I wipe it down. Also, I don't want the water drops to pick up any road grime on my way home. So, short answer, I am anal retentive.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

One of the other Mods made me tone my post down . . . See even we can get into trouble . . . :rolleyes: :D

haha i deleted my quote then.....since it still showed everything. QC you dont use anything on that beautiful hull of yours after retrieving?

Burtonair01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am anal retentive I'm not gonna lie, but if you ever buy anything from me you will appreciate it! I take care of my stuff, I pay good money for it not too. So yes we pull our boat out and spray it with a 50/50 vinegar water blend and wipe it down after every use. Also the lakes we boat on arent the cleanest either.

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Easy now Mr. Mod....don't blow a gasket.:D:D:D

I see what your saying brick, and I don't think your missing anything. Some folks just like to wipe it down now and it never gets dirty that way. Then there's others who wait til it gets dirty to wash it. It's all the same really. A few minutes wiping it often, or an afternoon worth of washing when it gets dirty enough. I know some folks who do a quick rinse on their car a couple times a week, and some who just give it a good thorough washing every once in a while. Seems like the time spent comes out even either way. Personally, I'm so freakin tired after a hard day at play I can barely stand, so I worry about it later.

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I wish I knew what a pier 6er was....I feel like I'm missin out on something funny.