question on inline six manifold water reversal kit

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
I have done the water flow reversal on a different inline six a few years ago. (early 70s vintage Mercruiser 165 - straight six). There is a service bulletin about this fix - No. 83-19. The service bulletin mentions a part number for the kit - # 60252A3

I want to do it on the engine I now have - which is also the straight six... but I don't need the whole kit. I have everything I need except the stainless steel block off plate that goes between the riser and the manifold. Does anyone know a part number for this plate? I am having trouble finding the right plate as the original doesn't call for one, and the kit doesn't break down the individual pieces. :confused:

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: question on inline six manifold water reversal kit

Just for the archives - if anyone else has the same question.... I went down to the local marina and was able to match up the right block off plate. This particular one is made by Barr - it is part # MC 20 55730

Barr also makes one with a vent hole - # MC-20-60207

Another question would be whether the vent hole is necessary or not? Anyone?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Like this????

attachment.php

Part number is -60207, should cost you around $9.... It's used standard on the end riser manifolds on the early V8's (Ford and GM) that use the same elbow as the inline 6.

Chris........

Attachments

• Block off plate.jpg
    Block off plate.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 0

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Thanks Chris! Looks like we were posting at around the same time. Do you think the vent hole is necessary? The plate they had in stock did not have the hole - but I can easily drill one.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Barr also makes one with a vent hole - # MC-20-60207

Another question would be whether the vent hole is necessary or not? Anyone?

The hole is required to allow air trapped under the plate to escape. If it didn't you would get a hot spot in the manifold and it would lead to a crack, which is the purpose of the water reversal kit in the first place (to remove the hot spot at the front of the manifold).

Chris......