no power and no diagrams

ccg511

Recruit
In an attempt to replace the cigarette lighter in my 1987 Charger Bass Boat 170T with outboard motor, I messed something up!

I removed the fuse for the cigarette lighter, incorrectly assuming that would protect me from messing with the power from the battery. I accidentally bumped something and saw a small spark.

This boat has 2 keys. 1 for the motor. 1 for the battery for the accessories.

Problem: Now when I turn the key for the accessories, there is no power for any of them.

Question: What did I do?

Real Question: How can I fix this?

Real Problem: Leaving for vacation tomorrow, boat mechanics are not available for over a week, and my husband is going to kill me (ha, ha).

PS: The wiring diagram that is located on the lid of the battery compartment has been ruined over the years. (I just bought boat last year.) Anybody have the wiring schematics diagram?

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: no power and no diagrams

Many on here will tell you that jiggling wires and looking at fuses and breakers is no way to diagnose electrical problems. They are correct. However, in your case, check for a large in line fuse somewhere between the house battery and the accessory panel. Given the arc you produced a blown fuse sounds very plausible. Start looking in the battery hatch.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

Also, you will need a meter to check for power... if i am not mistaken.. in your rear hatch where the batteries are they are (usually) block fuses that come off the power side of the batteries. they look like small grey boxes with rods that hook to the battery and the red wires leaving the batteries.

In my friends boat, same as yours, the red wires leaving the batteries are marked with Batt 1 or 2..make sure you only mess with the accerory battery which should be 2 on your boat..

those have an AMP rating that they blow at. you may have blown it. you can only check this with a meter or a small piece of wire (if you know what you are doing)...

definitely not a good time for this to happen...hope you get it solved!

Last edited:

lncoop

Vice Admiral

those have an AMP rating that they blow at. you may have blown it. you can only check this with a meter or a small piece of wire (if you know what you are doing)...

definitely not a good time for this to happen...hope you get it solved!

CCG, you may already know this, but you can tell by looking if the fuse is blown. The wire running through it will be broken. It will look kind of like the broken filaments in a burned out incandescent bulb.

ccg511

Recruit

I love people!

Thank you so much!

I believe it is the fuse. I thought I had checked them all. However, I had missed the one coming from the battery.

I have pulled out the old fuse. However, I can't tell how many amps for that fuse. It is rusted on both ends. It does have Mexico written on one end with the letter F in the middle. However, that doesn't tell me anything yet.

I am so relieved that I didn't burn up any wiring, etc. Thank God for the person who invented fuses!

Thank you again for responding. This is the first time I have ever posted to any forum anywhere, and I amazed at the speed of the replies!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

That is correct..if you are looking at the glass type or tranparent type block, fuses, etc..

The one I am reffering to is a solid, grey block aprox 1/2 in sixe that is not see through... this one comes right off the batteries + terminals. (if you have those)

My friend who has the same boat as you has these on his batteries...i assumed they came that way (meaning with the boat)

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

CC...my friends fuses (at the battery) were rated 30A.. If there is any way to get the number of the one that is working that would be best.. also, my friend replaced one of his and he got from Autozone ...

I'm not sure what you are powering but if you have a ton of stuff..you will need to get close to what they all draw for amps...

You could figure it out by making a jumper directly across the fuse and turn on your accerories...with an Ampbrobe (clip on style) you could read your amps draw and buy one according to the full load capacity

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

One last thing....

I changed out my fuses to the re-set style and not One-time fuses... they will have a small reset button...

I love them becasue you dont have to keep shagging new fuses...just find out whats wrong and away you go...

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Take the fuse with you to a marine dealer and tell the person at the counter where it came from. He or she will be able to determine what you need and sell you another. Might as well get a couple while you're there. ;)