1974 50hp johnson 50esl74m won't start

leachim

Recruit
I cleaned out carbs, changed fuel pump, gaped spark plugs to specs, checked all the fuel hoses for clogs. Looks like a new coil pack on the bottom cylinder.

When I cleaned the carbs I did reset the slow speed needle back to 5/8ths of a turn from lightly seated.

The top cylinder is not receiving any fuel but the bottom cylinder does when I removed the spark plugs. Both cylinders seem to get spark. When I crank the key I set the throttle midway. The engine will turn over but won't start but it did backfire a few times.

I sprayed a fuel mixture into the carbs and the engine fired up but dies when I stop. Does anyone know what I should do now?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 1974 50hp johnson 50esl74m won't start

If you removed the carbs's, They have to be put back in the proper sync.Ign. throrrle plates, choke plate's have to work together. On carb can't be open, the other closed.

leachim

Recruit

I checked the carbs and they both open and close together when the throttle is moved. When I cleaned them I made sure the low idle needle and jet holes were clean.

leachim

Recruit

Found out my woodrof key in the flywheel was sheared. Replaced it but it still only turns over when I try to start it. If I spray fuel mixture into the carbs it will run just fine. When I stop the motor and try to start it again, it still only turns over. Also the gear on my starter seems to intermittently stick up after I try to turn it over.