Velvet Drive / Borg Warner

charleswmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The transmission is overheating activating the boats computer into the get home mode. Instead of rebuilding the transmission it was replaced as a new unit and the same problem exists. The water pump on the engine was replace and so was the transmission cooler prior to replacement but the new unit is doing the same thing. Since this a friends boat I think it is a 1082 transmission. Another tid bit of information the new trans section is running at 130 degrees and the rear reduction unit will get up to 210 degrees in about 15 minutes of turning 3200 rpm's. My gut feeling was water flow issues possibly the exhaust manifolds or the engine heat exchanger partialy clogged not allowing good water through put.<br />Has anyone had these issues with this unit that I may can steer my buddy towards resolution. I haven't seen this personally but I'm beginning to think the mech at the yard are quacks and not addressing the real nature of the problem. He has blindly now got quite a few bucks tied up in this issue and I am just getting invloved. Sounds like an excuse to go to Carolina Beach for the weekend.<br />any thoughts???????????????????

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: Velvet Drive / Borg Warner

There's nothing wrong with the transmission. If the forward part of the transmission is running that cool, then the cooling system is working properly. The back half or the reduction end, has no cooling system and thats why its hotter. The oil has to flow back and forth thru a hole between the housing and works on the splash system. Why don't you post what problems the engine is having and we can go from there. Limp home mode? That's a new one for an inboard engine. Never heard of that system on a inboard unless someone has installed a super-duper electronic gismo system. Most Velvet drives don't even have the temp sensor installed, much less wired into the alarm system.

dick

Chief Petty Officer

Just a few questions,what type of boat is this in?<br />How are you checking the temp of the trans. ? Has there been any mods. to the cooling system.Is the engine temp still the same or is it higher then before ?<br />And ken some of the ski type boats have this feature you have never heard of thats why I want to know what boat he has.

charleswmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry to break the news to you but this one does have a temperature monitor and it does have a limp mode kind of like my volvo does. It will reduce rpm's to 2000. The other transmission runs same temp across the brd. (Trans and gear reduction)<br />I'll get more details on this one to bring to the table. Ps welcome to age on computer modules in <br />boats.

Capt Ken

Commander

Usually ski boats use a 1:1 drive rather than a reduction so I figured it was in a bigger boat. Also now it appears to have a brother engine next to it. For this engine to have the limp home mode, then it has a very new system. Yamaha first came out with the system for inboards with their YEMS models. If the engines are only several years old, then one of them isn't counter-rotating. GM quit counter-rotating their engines some years ago. Some OEM's are converting them but they are getting fewer and fewer. If the engine with the problem is on the starboard side, then the rotation of the prop is changed in the transmission and that could be the source of the extra heat. Some of the newer BW transmissions are built to run in reverse for forward. But then I'm rambling on. Without the proper information about this boat, we're going nowhere.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Charles, it is rare to find a trans in a boat that makes that much heat.....and having a twin in the boat that is happy make me think something is eating it self in the reduction....output thrust bearing? anybody checked the shaft alignment? bearings make heat before they fail....

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Has this boat expeirianced a dry run that melted down that seawater pump impeller or housing or both?If so the particles of both could well be mucking up the trans cooler enough to cause overheat.I will also add that I am not aware of anyone limiting power in this situation.Walther gives you an idiot light ,but thats all I 'VE seen.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

could be a stuffing box issue -- friction causing the shaft to heat up at higher rpms. Heat would be transferred from the shaft.

charleswmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Problem Solved!!! The hose off of the raw water intake was being restricted due to the internal spring corroded away!!!! Three mechanics later and a replaced transmission they are over it.<br />Not being directly invloved with the mechanics and<br />having someone look at the problem unbiased seemed to be the answer. You could see the hose compress or suck together as the the RPM's increased. Strange that engine ran cool and front half of new transmission ran cool????? But hey water flow is the key. They went after the problem expecting to find high water pressure<br />due to output restriction and what they found was low water pressure due to intake restriction.<br />Just goes to prove always get a fourth opinion!!