Leaking exhaust gasket, ticking...?

nola mike

Vice Admiral
OK, so i'm nearing a running boat. one of the probs i had was a leaking exhaust riser/mani gasket. over the winter i changed that gasket and the exhaust gasket. recently found that the riser gasket was still leaking; i cranked the engine over before discovering the coolant in the cylinders. replaced gasket again (merc gasket this time--different material than the sierra). leak seems resolved, but now my exhaust gasket is leaking (sierra again) pretty good at the #4 cylinder. there's also a ticking from that same area. sounds like a valve/lifter tick, but it could also very well just be escaping exhaust gas.

so...
1. is the leaking gasket a result of turning over the engine with coolant in the cylinder possibly?
2. could the damage be worse? i didn't have my compression tester, but i certainly still have compression. i ran the boat briefly at WOT with a full tank of gas and 2 people and hit 46 mph before i backed off, which is pretty good.

any suggestions? short of replacing the exhaust gasket and compression testing?

now the good news!
my $90 outdrive (including SS prop!) is running well. it was the wrong 2:1 gear ratio, but i up-propped to a 23p, which seems to have restored the right rpms.
my acceleration hesitation has resolved with a new unkinked fuel line and rebuilt carb

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Re: Leaking exhaust gasket, ticking...?

replaced the exhaust gasket with a merc gasket, and all is well. nice 'n quiet now, no more ticking.