Shifting issues... Mechanics needed!

Xesvuli420

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry so lengthy, but maybe the details will help!

Ok I will take the time to try and explain the chronology of the events leading up to now. Keep in mind that from then to now consist of 4 trips to the lake. I AM a first time boat owner, and I AM trying my best to learn as I go, so please no snide remarks about stuff you think "Everyone Knows". I am trying here! Please don't take that as rude, I don't mean it to be! I've just dumped money left and right into this boat, I realize that the boat has had zero maintenance before I bought it. The first owners were spoilt little rich kids, but thats all changing now. Ive changed all fluids, plugs, wires, points, wiring, upholstery, got 3 gauges working that previously did not. Long story short, I have been upside down with trying to get this boat back from the dead.

End of last season, I had an issue where when I would try to go into reverse, there would be a lot of loud clicking, but no engagement. It wouldn't do it every time, and more often than not, it would work fine.

First trip out this season, Reverse was gone ALL THE TIME, if it DID engage, it would "pop" out after only a second. Other than that, just the clicking. As well as a over heating problem, and a leaking cylinder hydraulic line. BTW new shifting problem... When you shift into forward, the boat would shift, and start moving. After about 5-10 seconds of motion, the would be a hard "THUD". I think that was the boat fully engaging.

After a week of working on the boat, removing the stern, and replacing the hydraulic line, the water hose for the impeller, gaskets, seals, impeller, etc... A buddy tried playing with the adjustment of the shift cable, and upon running with muffs, the boat shifted fine.

Next trip out. Everything was great except for the shifting. Once the boat was back in the water and under load, NO reverse. However I was able to adjust the cable (after watching him) and get reverse, but then no FORWARD. However it did help me get back to the dock.

Ok so Today, I took it out thinking I could adjust the boat to get forward, and paddle if I needed to. After about an hour, the clicking started again, but this time it was from moving from neutral to forward. I assumed that I must have screwed up the adjustment, and begin to try and get my forward back. I quickly learned that reverse was gone no matter how you adjusted it, and forward was a string away from being the same way!

I finally got it to engage (thank god... I was miles away from the dock with impossible rowing currents) the THUDDING went away, BUT now neutral was gone. the lockout switch would still recognize where neutral was allowing the boat to crank, but it would still inch forward.

I got the boat back to the dock, and on the trailer, and it will not see water again until I figure this out so I don't take anymore risk on damaging anything else. I dont think I have messed anything else up yet because when it does engage, it does smoothly, and the drive seems to be ok once engaged.

Ok so thats the symptoms. Everyone I've explained them to says it sounds like the cable is stretched, and needs to be replaced. Hardly anyone around here will touch a OMC, and since I know nothing about this, I figured I would let a expert handle the repair. I called the only guy i could find, and he said IF it just needs a cable, it will be around 400.00, but he said most likely the clutch dog will be bad to, and if that's the case it will cost A LOT more.

I really need your guys opinions!!!

I want this boat to last, I want to take care of it, I love it as I'm sure you guys all still love your first boat! I just need some help, and thats why Im here.. To get it strait!

SIDE NOTES

I just read somewhere that a properly adjusted OMC COBRA will shift with one finger... Mine has always been a fight coming out of Forward, into neutral since the day I bought it last year. Ive had to pull back with some pressure, and wait a few seconds for the thing to go into neutral. I just thought this was the way it was.

I also have heard rumors that OMC COBRA put out a service recall back decades ago due to a "sticky" or faulty shift cable. Free parts and labor to switch out to a "re-designed" cable... Could this be my issue? I know that the recall is over and all, but maybe I'm using the "badly" designed cable. Heck I don't even know if the "recall" is true... anyone?

Thank you guys for your time, it is greatly appreciated! Please if you reply, try to be detailed, and talk NOOB to me. I still have alot to learn, so please don't overwhelm me with jargon and specs. Again thank you very much! If you need any further details, I will get them for you.

:sighs:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shifting issues... Mechanics needed!

You need to buy a new shift cable. No adjusting is going to help it.

Xesvuli420

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was thinking that as well.

hey btw, i noticed when i had the stern removed that there is some type of adjustment there as well... could that be out of wack?

also, can anyone confirm or deny the recall on the cable?

Also, will I need a special adjusting tool like some require?

thanks again!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You should read this site

http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/

It is nice to have the tool the sets the bellcrank down at the outdrive at 90 degrees but not absolutely necessary.

There was a recall on the cable but it really doesn't matter anymore. You need to replace your cable if it was the recalled cable or not.

There was another thread on here recently where the guy had both the lower tool and the tool that measured the distance of the cable to the housing up in the engine. You can ping him to see where he bought them. I always rented the lower tool at my local dealer for $5.

You really need the factory manual to replace and adjust this cable.

bds85466

Petty Officer 1st Class

but he said most likely the clutch dog will be bad to, and if that's the case it will cost A LOT more.

Lots of grinding is bad for them of course, but those things are designed to go through a lot of abuse. Keep your fingers crossed, but I think a new cable will do you some good.:cool: