Johnson 1971 9.5 points

dukekas

Seaman Apprentice
The motor set for about ten years. Lubed and worked everything in. Only one plug firring, checked points, messed them up, now the good cyl wont even fire. Cam has top marked on it. Is that the part you align with the felt boot? Originally one set of points were touching.

bradmond

Cadet
Re: Johnson 1971 9.5 points

Set the points to .020" with the lobe positioned so the points are opened to the maximum. So you set each points seperate, adjust one set, rotate 180 degree, and adjust the other.

dukekas

Seaman Apprentice

That make since, Thank you very much. So Originally when one set of points were touching, it was cam position? Odds are maybe a dirty point or bad coil, why the other dosent fire.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If the points are correct, make sure that the coils are set correctly so that they pass the flywheel magnets at the correct distance. Click the thumbnail. The alignment should be exact.

Attachments

• DSCN0070.JPG
    DSCN0070.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 0

bradmond

Cadet

I would replace both points and condensers with OEM parts. Check coils for cracks in the plastic and replace only if cracked.

dukekas

Seaman Apprentice

That was right on how you told me to set the points. The god cyl is sparking again. The magnet placement is right on. Tested bad cyl with known good plug, nothing. Im 100 percent confident the points are right, Thank you a million times over. Ive seen coil packs go out on fords, not really GM, whats the likely hood of a bad plug wire or coil pack? I have a 1969 Evinrude 9.5, coil packs swappable to trouble shoot?

dukekas

Seaman Apprentice

Oh i see, ignition tune up kit. ;) Coil packs are intact

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class

A bad condensor will cause a weak or no spark condition.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Although rare, the coils from that era can go bad. Usually, it is obvious - they'll have a crack in them or be otherwise physically compromised. More than likely your points are dirty or the condenser is bad. I would install a new set of points and condensers and go from there...

dukekas

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all your help guys. Points and condensers, plugs and alot of pulling. Purrs like a kitten. Seems to run better with choke 3/4 closed but, havent got it up to temp yet. Summer just got a little better for this old vet.