Head gasket replacement 165

sinkher

Cadet
Anyone know how hard it is to replace a head gasket on a 1987 4 cyl and what is involved? I'm replacing it because it has been suggested that it may be blown causing the engine to overheat. I've replaced the impellar, riser, thermostat. The motor starts instantly and runs beautifuly. But after about 7 or 8 mins. the temp starts to rise above 180 so I shut it down. The anti freeze in the riser doesent leak down a drop even after two weeks of sitting. But when it starts to overheat I hear hissing at the front of the engine and the anti-freeze boils out or the riser if I take the cap off (mistake). So I'm going to try the headgasket now unless someone has a better idea, thanks.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Head gasket replacement 165

Try running it with the cap off looking for bubbles(compression bubbles in coolant)
Manual is available in the Adults Only section. Follow the tightening procedure in 3 equal steps to final torque. re-torque after a test warmup.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Anyone know how hard it is to replace a head gasket on a 1987 4 cyl and what is involved?

You need service manual #8. The job is not bad at all (no worse than any other head removal), couple of intake bolts are kind of hard to get to. Use the Mercruiser OEM head gasket, expensive but significantly better than aftermarket stuff. Make sure that you keep the pushrods and rocker arms in correct order. You will need some Quicksilver perfect seal (non hardening gasket sealant), but NAPA (Permatex) aircraft sealant will do nicely. Follow the torquing sequence EXACTLY and retorque after running. While you are at it you might want to get a valve job done, I had hardened exhaust seats put in mine. Have fun.

sinkher

Cadet

Thanks for the great info Terry. I have high hopes for this boat, thanks again