Skiing with a Cruiser

I am looking at buying a 2004 Chaparral 260 Signature cruiser with a 6.2L MerCruiser w/Bravo 3 Outdrive. This boat does have a generator. Does anyone have experience with this boat and if Chaparral has had any issues with it? Also I want to still do some skiing and tubing. Will this boat be able to plane and pull? How does Chaparral compare to Sea Ray?

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Skiing with a Cruiser

IMO Sea Rays are built better and will stand the test of time better.

A 26' boat is not ideal for tubing or skiing. I am sure you can do it.... but it wont take off and plane quickly, and wont turn real tight and quick corners. Also the wake will be big and washy, so very hard to cross on skis.

haulnazz15

Captain

IMO Sea Rays are built better and will stand the test of time better.

A 26' boat is not ideal for tubing or skiing. I am sure you can do it.... but it wont take off and plane quickly, and wont turn real tight and quick corners. Also the wake will be big and washy, so very hard to cross on skis.

I disagree with your value of the SeaRays. They are both equal boats in my opinion as far as build quality goes. There are many people who would even say the Chap is better-built. It's hard to quantify which will last longer since they are both so dependent on how the owner treats them.

I don't think the Chap would have any problem with the tube and would actually be a blast with such a big wake. Skiing obviously isn't the best thing to do behind a boat with a large wake, but it can be done.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

It's do-able and should be fun. Just remember you will not be anywhere near as maneuverable as a smaller boat. Therefore in busier waters I would have a few spotters for the area around you looking for the ones that won't expect you to be towing something.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Buy Two Boats. A Cruiser for Relaxing and a 20FT Ski boat for Water Sports.

Simple. So whats the Problem again.