9.5 Johnson ???

MD746

Cadet
Im looking at buying a 9.5 Johnson motor.Are this motors ok for finding parts and how well did they run? The present owner said it has been sitting for a few years the motor has good compression and is only missing the kill button and the choke switch I think its on the left looking at the pull cord. Also I dont know the year the hood has a low profile look I took it for a early 70's but not sure he is only wanting 150.00 for it. I figure its not a bad price unless the parts for this motor are hard to find.

Rick.

Captain
Re: 9.5 Johnson ???

Most parts are still easy to get but I've heard some are extinct but don't remember shat they are. You can purchase a SeaDog universal kill switch and it will fit the same hole as your missing kill switch. The choke switch is a part I am not familiar with but you might try Ebay for one. They are dependable and fairly light weight. They almost all take the same parts for the many years they were produced. I do notice my 9.5 uses quite a bit more gas than my 9.9 and hasn't near the speed. Best of luck. Rick.

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class

9.5 was OK, but the 1974 and on 9.9/15 series of Johnson/Evinrudes were much better and more reliable, with less issues. That is not to say the 9.5 is bad motor, but it has it's share of quirks, you see alott of people asking about fixing them here on this forum.

mettyfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would keep looking unless it's in perfect shape. I worked on my father in laws and that version is kind of a pain to work on. Weird carb and his needed that exhaust hose that is ribbed. The hose has high failure. That part is no longer made. I found an old stock one but was not real easy. If that hose has a hole you get water spitting inside cowling and the carb will breath the exhaust and not run right. An original stop switch I had to buy for his was 50 bucks also. There are better versions and I would try to get a 74 up. Good luck, Mettyfish

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class

My uncle had the 1973 9.5 Johnson, and I did not want to discourage the guy above, but Metty is right, they are a bit of a pain and that exhaust leak will drive you nuts! The engine will die with the cowl on if the leak is bad enough. Parts are a problem, as this engine was not produced for very long, but fortunately is has parts in common with other models. The 9.9/15 series was produced for over 30 years and are plentiful, many are availlable from marinas that have fishing fleets, especially on lakes that have banned two-strokes; look for a marina that had fairly new ones when the ban went into effect and you can possibly find a nice cherry. Stay away from salt water engines, don't ask me how I know;)

MD746

Cadet

Thanks guys for the info. I ended up buying the motor for 125.00 I guess thats not to bad. When I start working on it Im sure I will have more questions.

Rick.

Captain

I hope you enjoy having it. I do like mine. I just hardly ever use it cause I have too many choices. Rick.

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, hopefull it was well taken care of and then you should be able to maintain it. Was it fresh water only?

MD746

Cadet

Yes, Fresh water use only. the the foot and all look good not beat up for its age all the parts seem to be in place minus the kill switch, idle adjust switch. After looking on the forum I plan on giving it a full tune up new water pump and impeller. and sand the outside and repaint the motor white to match my boat.

Rick.

Captain

I've seen them advertised on Toy R Us website, not in Canada though. I get them at my local marine store but I think Iboats sells them too. Rick.