Controls Upgrade

Jamarine_73

Recruit
I?m new to the group but have thoroughly enjoyed researching and reading the various topics in this forum. I have solved the majority of my problems by simply using the forums here. That being said, I may have a good one for everyone!

Last year I purchased a 1991 hull that was repowered sometime around 1997 with a Johnson Ocean Runner engine. The engine runs fairly well (for an old 2-stroke!), but I?m in desperate need of changing the throttle cables and entire controls.

Knowing that in 1996 Johnson/Evinrude changed all the wiring harnesses, I assumed there would have been some modifications made to the harness when the boat was repowered. However, in my investigation I find that instead of changing the harness, they rewired the engine to suit the old controls! Instead of having the black control plug, I have a big red cannon plug.

I have looked through ebay/craigslist to find a suitable replacement handle (pre-1996), but haven?t had great luck. The local dealer has a few on the shelf, but they are in worse condition than mine. Attached is a picture of the original binnacle control.

Instead of going through the hassle of rebuilding the current set up, I have found that BRP sells a wiring harness to adapt Pre-1996 harnesses to the latest controls. Specifically, I was thinking about buying the current control (BRP # 5006186), using their adapter (BRP # 176341).

Does anyone have any experience with this upgrade? Will there be other issues that I?ll have to deal with (i.e. gauges, alarms, etc.) that will require additional wiring?

I?m hoping to avoid any unseen items that are going to complicate the experience. Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated.

New Control: http://evinrude.cust.shopatron.com/product/0/5006186/_/Singe_Lever_Binnacle_Control_wkey

Wiring Harness Adapter: http://evinrude.cust.shopatron.com/product/84237/176711/_/Remote_Control_Wiring_Adapter

Boat
Make - Grady White
Model - 206G Overnighter
Year - 1991

Engine
Make - Johnson Ocean Runner
Model - J150NXEUC
Serial - G04280272
Year - 1997

Attachments

• 1991_Original_Control.jpg
    1991_Original_Control.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 0

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Controls Upgrade

great controller. BRP makes some gooooood stuff. I wish I had one of the Binnacle Controllers!

you will not have any problems, with the BRP wiring. everything will work exactly as it should.

I was quiet impressed when I installed one on my friends boat.
The quality, the look, the wiring, everything, very impressed, its worth the money.

Now, the wiring on your boats side, who knows! You could have some funky wiring job in there, or some weird gauges, but everything is pretty standard. You shouldn't have any problems at all, but if you do, it'll be on the gauge wiring.

Soooooooo what are you doing with your old controller? (dibs)

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

first of what is the model number of your engine....it could have been repowered by a PRE 1997 motor!!! in 1995 they were using red plugs at the motor, and they changed in 96 supposedly, who knows how many were mad with red connectors of with the new pigtail style..

I had a 97 ocean pro that I rigged up on my boat with the matching 97 control, both had pigtail connections at the motor!!!

then I took the motor off and put on a 95 Ocean runner...which had the red plug at the motor, I had to get a harness ADAPTER, which isnt a "harness", but an adapter to connect the two different style( i didnt not want to pull the hanress back from under the flooring and run the new harness...so I added in the adapter back at the motor...( my adapter was way too long actually so i coiled it up till i find a shorter one)

I wouldnt think you would have to go buy that new control!!!!

plus ebay has the adapter for sale a lot as cheap as $50 sometimes brand new!!

(YOUR ADAPTER HARNESS pictured is actually the complete harness from motor to control!!!!)

the ones i am talking about splice in between the two styles..and as such have no horn!!! or loose tach connections!!

( sorry i see you had the model number listed on your post!!)

bob

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The black cannon plug was for very old battery ignition systems and were not ment to be used on a magneto systems. There are adaptors so you can use your 95 & older control (boat harness w/red cannon plug) with a 96 & newer motor (motor harness w/pin & socket connectors). And adaptors to go the other way. In either case you will have warning systems with the correct components.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

after re-reading your thread and digesting it a little better, i thin you are on track..because the harness you listed with hook directly to your New to be purchased control...and the red plug should fit well to your MODIFIED post 96 motor..which essentially makes it a Pre 95 motor now ha ha ha

so id say you are on track.. for some reason i was thinking you were going with a control you already have..

but you want to buy a new control....right?

looks all good to me

i did the pre 95-post 96 , motor-controls match up Both ways.... so i thought I d chime in...but you got a grasp of it already it seems

good luck

bob

Jamarine_73

Recruit

great controller. BRP makes some gooooood stuff. I wish I had one of the Binnacle Controllers!

you will not have any problems, with the BRP wiring. everything will work exactly as it should.

I was quiet impressed when I installed one on my friends boat.
The quality, the look, the wiring, everything, very impressed, its worth the money.

Now, the wiring on your boats side, who knows! You could have some funky wiring job in there, or some weird gauges, but everything is pretty standard. You shouldn't have any problems at all, but if you do, it'll be on the gauge wiring.

Soooooooo what are you doing with your old controller? (dibs)
Several people have told me that the most recent BRP products are very smooth. In fact I know someone with a two year old boat that completely changed his controls and felt the performance was better. Shifting and throttle response seemed much quicker and precise compared to what originally came on the boat (not sure what it was).

Regarding the old controller... not sure what I'm doing. I'd definitely like to make the upgrade if my wallet allows! If I do, I'll give you first right of refusal. Thanks for the advice!

Jamarine_73

Recruit

after re-reading your thread and digesting it a little better, i thin you are on track..because the harness you listed with hook directly to your New to be purchased control...and the red plug should fit well to your MODIFIED post 96 motor..which essentially makes it a Pre 95 motor now ha ha ha

so id say you are on track.. for some reason i was thinking you were going with a control you already have..

but you want to buy a new control....right?

looks all good to me

i did the pre 95-post 96 , motor-controls match up Both ways.... so i thought I d chime in...but you got a grasp of it already it seems

good luck

bob
Bob - Thanks for the reply. I am thinking about dragging the boat over to the local BRP dealer to have him actually lay eyes on the set up before taking the plunge. The guy seems to have a handle on the unconventional set I have.

I haven't done much research on the tachometer wiring - Is that also part of the adapter? The only other gauges displayed are "boat specific" like battery voltage, fuel level, speed, and trim.

Anything else I'm missing??

Thanks again!

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Bob - Thanks for the reply. I am thinking about dragging the boat over to the local BRP dealer to have him actually lay eyes on the set up before taking the plunge. The guy seems to have a handle on the unconventional set I have.

I haven't done much research on the tachometer wiring - Is that also part of the adapter? The only other gauges displayed are "boat specific" like battery voltage, fuel level, speed, and trim.

Anything else I'm missing??

Thanks again!

well again with all the options BRP has they probably have different controls or wiring depending if you have the systems check Tach or not

in any case even with the systems check tach the harness from the control to the guages usually has a dropper for an odd tach as well as a lead for ignition on power and a ground.

otherwise those thengs are fed through the big plug that goes into the systems check tach( i thing it is an 8 pin plug)

((((actually I just checked the spare bimini control I have and it only has three leads a 2 pin a trinagular 3 pin and a rectangular 6 pin, so the 8 pin tach MIGHT come right from the harness and not from the controler

for some reason i was thinking the tach lead came from the control..)))

bob