Just bought 1970 Sportcraft 21 C-hawk with mercuiser inline 6...where do I start?

89cruisers

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all, its been some years since I visited this forum, but, I just bought a 1970 C-hawk, it has the a mercruiser GM inline 6, and that is all I know, i'm basically starting from scratch on this boat. I can't seem to find to much info on it...does anyone know atleast what size this engine is so that I know what to say when I go to buy all new ignition (crank, but no spark) It also has an issue with the drive hydraulics as it does not stay up in place (being held up by tie down straps for towing) where should I start with this? the ignition wiring for the switch is all off, so I am going to have an absolute blast figurring out what goes where lol.

But anyways thanks in advance for any help!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Just bought 1970 Sportcraft 21 C-hawk with mercuiser inline 6...where do I start?

where should I start with this?

Ayuh,... With Service Manual #1, from the Adults Only section at the top of this forum...

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Just bought 1970 Sportcraft 21 C-hawk with mercuiser inline 6...where do I start?

Like Bond-o suggests - be sure to download the manual. The engine itself is a Chevy 250 straight six. Most of the parts you can get at the local auto parts store simply by asking for parts from an early 70's Chevy truck with the 250 engine. (I'm referring to the basic engine parts - and even the points - not the marine externals like alternator, etc).

89cruisers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ah thank you very much, I was gonna get some work done this morning to try to clear things out, but discovered a hornets nest in the cabin, so now any work will have to wait until i can bomb the boat. I was wondering if there was anyone on this forum that has one of these, as it seems informaiton on these boats are limited

89cruisers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I looked up the 250ci, and it shows the hp output for that engine being 155hp, while on mine it shows a 165 stamp, do I still indeed have the 250? or something a tad larger?

zbnutcase

Commander

Yup 165hp is a 250CI engine.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

It's called a 165 - but take the horsepower with a grain of salt. They were, well, let's say "creative" :rolleyes: with their horsepower claims back in the day.

Having said that - you have the most reliable, simple engine ever put in a boat in my opinion. The boat I have now is a 1972 Searay with the same exact engine. Great package.

89cruisers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thank you thank you

89cruisers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does it push your searay fairly decent?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

It's an 18' fiberglass with an enclosed bow - and it flies!