Integral wheels are rusted out - size I need is obsolete?

mixin

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Sterling Scout trailer which looks to be factory equipped with integral hub wheels on 1" spindles. The tires are rotted terribly and the wheels are rusted through. The only reason the tires hold air is because of the tubes inside the tires. SO, I bought new wheel/tire combos only to find the the hub length of the new wheels is 4.125" and the ones I'm removing have a hub length of about 3.5" - so the threads of the spindle never make it past the outer bearing on the new wheels.

I have done some research here and elsewhere and found that I need to either replace the whole axle or have the spindles cut out and new, longer ones welded in. I can't return the wheels/tires I bought, so I'd like to try to stay with the spindle mount wheels. (if I had it to do over again, I'd definately go with the hubs on the axle)

I have a buddy who is a professional mechanic who would do the work for me - I just want to ask him to do it the easiest way (for his sake). Looking at this funky suspension of this trailer, there is going to be alot of cutting and welding either way.

Which do you think the best way to go is? New spindles or new axle? Thanks!

Mike
Grand Rapids, MI

Sterling%20Scout%20trailer
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Mr.Stuart

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Integral wheels are rusted out - size I need is obsolete?

that's the same axel I have, you can get new bearings and hubs, that's what I did with mine, but mine already had the 4 bolt hubs

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

+1 on the new trailer.

fishrdan

Admiral

Not sure if Harbor Freight is in your neck of the woods, but they sell the same trailer.

mixin

Seaman Apprentice

For all those guys in the same boat I am in - I think I found the solution!

(This is for guys doing vintage (short spindle) trailer restos - or guys who are cheap and hard headed with projects like me.)

I found "Short" length hubs! These hubs have a tube length of 3-3/8" (instead of 4"), so it seems that they will install on "short" spindles. You will then be able to install wheels with 5 x 4-1/2" bolt patterns on your orginal spindles. I think this could space the wheels out a little, so you may need to adjust your fenders.

Bottom line is, you will be able to install wheels/tires from your local grocery store on your vintage trailer with the "short" spindles - and it is a completely bolt on installation, no worries about welding and axle/spindle alignment.

I will be doing this to my trailer in the next few weeks and will report back with how it goes.

Check the link:

http://www.expediter.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=1_30&product_id=260