1960 40hp johnson cooling/waterpump problems

peewizzzle

Cadet
im not getting any water circulation in the motor it gets hot to the touch, and i dont wanna run it anymore. so i tried to take out the lower unit but it seems stuck i got it to come out an inch inch and a half but thats it. how do i get it out or does anyone now what the problem may be, why its not spitting out water through the hole thank you

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1960 40hp johnson cooling/waterpump problems

So, did you disconnect the shift rod?? Take the diamond-shaped plate off the side of the midsection, then the plate that is behind it. Inside you will find the shift rod connector. Completely remove one screw.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Well the shift rod has to be disconnected. First thing is to check the impeller.

peewizzzle

Cadet

i replaced the impeller and there was no thermostat in the housing could that be the problem or does it not matter.i replaced those things cleaned up the water pump housing and everything else still no peepee shoting out nothing at all. the thermostat housing is dry after runing it. does it need sometime to build up pressure is there anything else i could check

peewizzzle

Cadet

how deep does the water have to be in the bucket? how far up on the motor?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

At least half way up the leg...the part of the leg with the pump inside should be well under water.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Is the drive key in the impeller in place ???

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

That motor needs to be DEEP in the barrel to pump water. I use an old skool metal trash can and block it up so that the skeg is nearly on the bottom of the can and the top of the can is nearly at the bracket, then fill it up.

peewizzzle

Cadet

cool thank you i will try after work and let you know thanks

peewizzzle

Cadet

deeper bucket work!! motor doesnt run hot runs at a nice temp thank you for all your help