Evinrude E60ELCSR 1980 2CYL Help setting up!

alangranton

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a boat, spent ages doing it up, bought a engine and now I'm stuck.
The engine has OMC single lever controller.
The engine starts with the warm up lever raised fully.
I then start to push the lever down and after half way the engine dies. Just fades out.
The engine will sit for ever with the lever half way.
I have no idea how to set things up so the lever can go all the way down and then I can use the propper throttle.

Any ideas I've never set up an outboard and remotes so I'm lost.

Thanks

Alan -West Coast of Scotland (Girvan)

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Evinrude E60ELCSR 1980 2CYL Help setting up!

not sure what you mean by single lever controller, you could post a pic, also not sure what your problem is, but if it was my motor first thing I would do is replace all filters, fuel hoses and connectors, then rebuild/clean carbs, test fuel pump, then do compression check and spark test with a spark gap tester set a 7/16 gap..post results after you have done all that.

SparkieBoat

Captain

o yea i almost forgot, I would also install a new water pump impeller, and t-stats, flush and clean motor, and replace the prop shaft seal and the drive shaft seal and change the gear case oil.

alangranton

Seaman Apprentice

Hi, This is the control.
productimage-picture-80s-vintage-om.jpg

The main throttle will not operate until the warm up lever is flat.

But my engine cuts out if the lever is fully depressed. I have to keep it half way.

Its almost as if the idle is set to low. I have no idea how to raise the idle so the engine keeps running with the warm up lever flat.

SparkieBoat

Captain

that is a normal type side mount control..you need to figure out why idle is low..you can adjust it at the engine, but it may be low idle because of some mechanical problem. how does it run after you get going??

rolmops

Vice Admiral

You can start at a fairly high rpm with the help of the neutral accelerator.That can mean one of 2 things.Either your low speed jet in the carburetor is clogged and you need to service your carburetor or the idle on your engine is set too low.
I would check the idle setting but I do think that you need a thorough carburetor cleaning.

alangranton

Seaman Apprentice

The engine seems to run ok with the warm up lever half way.

How do I adust the idle speed?

Thank you so far chaps for all the help.

SparkieBoat

Captain

you can adjust your idle by adjusting your throttle cable where it attaches in the engine. see the round black plastic thingy...loosen bolt(s) holding it and turn so that it pulls the throttle. remember a little movement can make a big difference. this still does not determine if you have a mechanical problem...I highly recommend a carb cleaning and testing engine compression and a spark test with a spark gap tester at 7/16, and new champion plugs, make sure to get the right ones, it is very important. also you probably need a new water pump impeller, and new gear case oil, I would also guess that you have water in your gearcase and also need new seals. If you are unable to preform these test, or services, you will need to hire a good mechanic, I highly highly recommend not using some back yard guy (even though I am one) because there are a lot of them out there that will cost you lots of money and mess up your motor. Unless you can find a guy with a very good reputation. Find a OMC dealer, I am sure there is one near you somewhere.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The main thing is to work from the engine out.

Start by disconnecting the throttle cable and synchronizing the carburetors so that the throttle plates open and close precisely together. The throttle plates should be fully closed at idle and perfectly horizontal at WOT.

When you have the carburetors synchronized, adjust the roller to the mark on the cam so that it is centered, but not quite touching.

Then, move the control arm on the remote fully forward and back to neutral and adjust the cable so that it slips back on without moving the engine linkage. Use the cable trunnion to adjust.

Once you have that all done, make the final idle adjustment on the water, in gear, with the engine warmed up. The motor should idle in gear and under load at close to 650 RPM.

alangranton

Seaman Apprentice

Many thanks everyone, It seems I have a bit to do this weekend..

Scotish weather permitting I will make a start on Saturday and let you all how I get on.

Once again, Many thanks from a novice.

alangranton

Seaman Apprentice

Ok,carb cleaned and now idles, thanks everyone.

next problem.

When I pull the controller back the boat goes forward

When I push the controller forward the boat goes backwards.

is this right or, seems a little strange to me.

Any ideas?

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Before giving all sorts of advice.Can you please attach a picture of exactly how the remote control is set up in the boat?Sometimes they are set up backward because of practical considerations.Changing things around is easy,but let's start by seeing what it looks like.

alangranton

Seaman Apprentice

yes certainly will, it makes sense.

pictures always say a thousand words

Again many thanks to people who helped me with the original problem.

Cheers Alan

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The probability is that the gearcase is of a different vintage than the engine, so that the engine linkage is not correct.

On some earlier models reverse gear was engaged by raising the shift rod whereas in newer models reverse is engaged by lowering the shift rod.

You may want to confirm what is happening to the shift rod when you move the control arm.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The probability is that the gearcase is of a different vintage than the engine, so that the engine linkage is not correct.

On some earlier models reverse gear was engaged by raising the shift rod whereas in newer models reverse is engaged by lowering the shift rod.

You may want to confirm what is happening to the shift rod when you move the control arm.

The remote you have is the right one for the 1980 engines.Here is a blow up of its innards.
http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/js...CatFilter=BRP&eCatSupFldr=supplier-100-005-EJ

alangranton

Seaman Apprentice

I will try and make a short video and have a go at putting it on here.

It's not a massive problem but it seems a bit strange.

Are there solutions available, or is it a live with it situation.

:rolleyes: