Trim/Tilt Trouble

catchin'cats

Recruit
This may be a no brainer for a lot of you guys but I'm pretty new and don't mind asking something that I don't know. I am replacing the small 12 volt motor that runs the worm gear which in turn runs another gear which raises and lowers the prop, however in the process of checking things out i noticed that the clutch assembly and gear that raises and lowers the prop is in an oil resevoir and it is bone dry, so my question is what kind of fluid/oil do I use within this resevoir? Thank You guys a buch.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Trim/Tilt Trouble

Is this a 1997 Yamaha sterndrive with the twin BMW diesel engines?

have a read of this:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=220416

sounds like an OMC stringer and if so, that ain't your trim motor. It is only the tilt. (a mistake that destroys the ball gears and upper gearcase) and any heavy oil you have laying around- lower unit oil fine

catchin'cats

Recruit

Sorry about the confusion... It is the tilt motor and it is on a '78- early 80's OMC 4 cylinder inboard.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

My '84 stringer 800 had "10W30" stamped on the cover, but it's not critical what you use, just so it has some oil in it to resist water coming in.

cr2k

Captain

Tilt clutch cavity. They leak, oil out and water in. Fact of life, get used to it.

That said....Some pack with marine grease and say it is good. I use oil but check mine every outing or 2 and drain and refill.

Problems with these...oil get in and floats the oil up the shaft into the motor and as you found out it ain't good for the tilt motor.

Solution, drain water and refill oil often.

catchin'cats

Recruit

Thank You guys for the insight, It was a lot of help. I was having nightmares about putting the wrong stuff in and getting stranded. LOL Thanks again.