My First Boat (Project/Restore Fiberglass Speedboat)

albrown86

Recruit
I recently was given my Friends, Fathers Boat after He Passed away and I plan to completely restore it and keep his dream alive. I havent recieved the Title yet but it is a 70's 14ft Steury Speedboat, model s1500 I believe, The Hull and Stringers were in great shape, but the floor was rotted and carpet destroyed, So far I have Removed the old floor and this weekend I will start the process of replacing it. Any tips and advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Also, I need some advice with getting the motor started and running, I have never owned an Outboard and this is all going to be trial and error for me. Help me to keep this dream alive!!!!

drewpster

Commander
Re: My First Boat (Project/Restore Fiberglass Speedboat)

Fiberglass or Aluminum boat? Any pictures? They each have their own processes.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

A Steury would be a glasser. What outboard?

Make SURE the stringers are actually good and the transom is sound. Boats tend to rot from the bottom up so by the time the deck is soft the stringers are already pretty bad and the stringers are connected to the transom etc etc :p

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can check the stringers and transom by drilling small holes in them to check for wet/rotted wood.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats!!

I had a S1500 about 8 years ago ....... nice little tri-hull. Mine had an 85 and would scoot at about 40 mph.

Yes they are a bit prone to needing some wood working done but a fairly easy boat to work on.

Replace that decking with 1/2 exterior plywood that has been sealed up (by you) with fiberglass resin and a layer of cloth.

Pictures???