Question about Yamaha paperwork (MSO, Warranty Card, etc)

stjernefodt

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys,

I bought a new Yamaha F50 about 2 months ago from a dealer in Tennessee (C&O Marine), and had it shipped to my local dealer in Texas. The motor came in its crate, but no paperwork was included (not even the manual!).

When I received the motor, I called them to ask when would the paperwork arrive, and they said in a couple of weeks, that they had to fill the forms and wait for Yamaha to ship them the warranty card & the MSO back to them. That was more than a month ago.

I called them 2 weeks ago to remind them that I haven't received anything, and they said that they had forgotten to send out the paperwork, but that now they would do it right away.

Today I called again and now they said it was it was up to Yamaha to send out the paperwork, that they had done their part. I told them that I needed at least an invoice so I can start registering my outboard, as well as the outboard manual. They said that all of that would be included in one package any day now. It's been 2 months and I'm worried that they're not doing their part to help me out.

Can I get Yamaha to send me out my MSO and Warranty Card, without the dealer being involved? I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks.

Al

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Question about Yamaha paperwork (MSO, Warranty Card, etc)

Sounds fishy to me. Very fishy. I'm not sure what you can do, though. If they're not submitting paperwork, it may well be that they don't have the paperwork. There are a couple of reasons that might be the case, and neither of them is good.

What you might do, is to drop in to the sheriff's office in your area and explain what happened. If you're nice about it, your sheriff might just contact the sheriff in the county where you bought your outboard and have a little chat with the dealer there. That might do some good.

You might also talk to your local dealer, but he might be a little reticent and wonder why you didn't buy your outboard from him, instead of ordering one from some out-of-state dealer. That's a question I'd ask if I were him.

I guess you're having some trouble getting your outboard registered in your state, right? Worried about that warranty, too, I'll bet. Is your local dealer a Yamaha dealer?

stjernefodt

Seaman Apprentice

Yes my local one is an authorized Yamaha dealer.

To be honest I didn't want to raise my voice or anything like that with the guys on the phone, thinking I would risk further delay. What bothers me is that the dealer I bought this from is one of the largest Yamaha centers in the U.S.

And yes, I can't register the motor (a Texas requirement) because I don't have any type of proof that I own it.

Guess I'm gonna have to call Yamaha directly to help me out with this, and also I will talk to my local dealer about possible solutions. As a last resort I guess it wouldn't hurt to try going to our local sheriff.

Thanks for your suggestions.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Yamaha has some pretty strict dealer requirements concerning new motors and warranty registration. Each large engine has to have a filled out and signed pre delivery inspection form (PDI) by the dealer and motors are not to be sold in the box.

You may want to contact Yamaha Customer Service (866) 894-1626 with the motor's serial number and see what they can do to help you.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I bought my Yami online and it was shipped to my house in the crate. I sent in the paperwork myself with no dealer's help. There was a slight issue with the warranty card, but a call to Yami USA and they resolved it with me on the phone.

The mail-in card WAS in the crate though.