1991 Alpha 1 - Cannot Seperate

md-lucky

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello All,

A good friend of mine has a 1991 3.0 with an Alpha 1. They started getting some weird noises from the back of the boat that seem to follow engine RPM. He wanted to pull the drive to check the gimble bearing, u-joints, and everything else back there.

Anyway, he shifted it into forward gear and removed the 6 (?) bolts. He removed the hydraulic rams. He even pulled the bellows off thinking maybe they were holding it in place.

He simply cannot get it to seperate. Has anyone had similar problems, or is it possible he is missing something? I plan on swinging over there tonight after work to give him a hand, and would love to know any tricks or secrets to these drives.

Thanks in advance!

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1991 Alpha 1 - Cannot Seperate

Hello All,

A good friend of mine has a 1991 3.0 with an Alpha 1. They started getting some weird noises from the back of the boat that seem to follow engine RPM. He wanted to pull the drive to check the gimble bearing, u-joints, and everything else back there.

Anyway, he shifted it into forward gear and removed the 6 (?) bolts. He removed the hydraulic rams. He even pulled the bellows off thinking maybe they were holding it in place.

He simply cannot get it to seperate. Has anyone had similar problems, or is it possible he is missing something? I plan on swinging over there tonight after work to give him a hand, and would love to know any tricks or secrets to these drives.

Thanks in advance!

there was a real similar post recently about a drive getting stuck and needing the driveshaft cut to get it out. It seems the splines were stuck in the engine coupler.

md-lucky

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yikes....

If you see that thread again, would you shoot me a link? I'll start trying to find it through the search.

Thanks!

md-lucky

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Took a lot of heat and a little cursing, but we got it.

What a mess.

CHECK YOUR FREAKING BELLOWS PEOPLE!!! This probably could have been avoided if they were checked regularly.. I'm not a beleiver in replacing them every few years.