What is it and any advice (F R please look)

BEERSTALKER

Cadet
Hi i purchased a boat last year and it had what i was told an 80hp outboard. there is no stamp i suspect it to be a starflite or speedifour. it is magneto and I have taken some part numbers that I could find
on the head there is a circle core plug stamp with hubard B1386
other part numbers located around the engine are 307757-1, 980808, 377121, 377113. thanks. i wish to restore the unit to its former glory. But beeing in Scotland parts and advice are hard to come by any help would be welcom especialy from F R as i can clearly see through your replies that you are the man to ask.:confused:

Attachments

• outboard 001.jpg
    outboard 001.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 0
  • outboard 002.jpg
    outboard 002.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 0
  • outboard 003.jpg
    outboard 003.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 0
  • outboard 004.jpg
    outboard 004.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: What is it and any advice (F R please look)

A Speedifour from the 1960's. What are the numbers on the circled core plug? The model and serial number should be there. That will tell the story.

EDIT: The powerhead is black, but the bottom end is white. That doesn't seem right. Looks like some switcheroos have been done. The white Evinrudes of the 1960's were made in 1967. But the powerheads were white too.

Attachments

• outboard.jpg
    outboard.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 0

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The electric starter, and starter reduction gear are missing.Still has adjustable high speed needle's. Not sure when that was stopped.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Looks like a 60hp Speedifour, c. mid 1960s. Has a mechanical shift and magneto ignition...

BEERSTALKER

Cadet

On the stamp is has hubard B1386 and that is all. i have a generator starter and controls with cables and junction box coming this week

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Hubard is the name of the company that makes expansion plugs. The mystery increases.

Maybe being in Scotland has something to do with it. What I wrote applies to USA-built motors. Yours probably came from Belgium.

BEERSTALKER

Cadet

Maybe i will find more clues as i strip it down. i inted to do a complete strip and rebuild cleaning and restoring as much as possible. would be easier if i knew what i had.

one thing i did notice was that allthough it has spce for a generator which is on its way from the USA ther is nothing under the fly wheel other than the cog for the magneto. do you use a single belt or do you have to get another cog to put the generator belt onto ?

curently most of the parts i have orderd are coming from the USA i have read most of the posts for starflites speedifours and sportfours. i will keep you all updated but if you have any ideas where i can look that might give a better indication of what it is then i would be greatfull.

BEERSTALKER

Cadet

thanks for that. i have a junction box coming this week. and get this it cost me just $15 for the postage the junction box is free as i bought the other parts so starter motor $42 generator $12 controls with cables $9 spare carb $9 total shipping cost $148.

i am quite good with motors more with electrics and electronics.

i want the boat and outboard to last and no better way to get to know it than to strip it and rebuild it. plus just through the forums here i have learned plenty and know if i get suck there are many great minds here to help.

parts are easy to come by if you know how and i have a good local boat store.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I'd say you did well on the parts purchase.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I thought the adjustable high speed jets went out in 1960 with the first 75 hp. That puts it has a 58 or 59 50 hp. But I'm probably wrong.

BEERSTALKER

Cadet

i have a better idea when i start to strip it. it would seem very big for a 50hp. but if you guys have any more ideas of where to look for clues i would be greatfull
also could do with finding a generator drive wheel (fly wheel )

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I thought the adjustable high speed jets went out in 1960 with the first 75 hp. That puts it has a 58 or 59 50 hp. But I'm probably wrong.

They came back with the 60hp. They had to remove some of the bells and whistles to make it into a lower price motor to sell alongside the 75/80 hp. Even though it actually cost more to manufacture it with adjustable needles. But John Q. Public didn't know that.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Just for the heck of it, what yrs did they build the 60 hps with the adjustable high speed jets? I'm old and have CRS.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Hmmm...looks just like the 64 Speedifour 60 hp that I have on a stand in the shop...the ID plate on mine is on the back of the left transom clamp/mount. If there's no plate there, maybe you can measure the stroke and ID it...if there is a difference in bore/stroke among the 60 to 80 hp motors of that period...FR probably knows.

BEERSTALKER

Cadet

i have gone over every inch looking for an id plate even scratched off some paint to see if it had been painted over. whatever it is i will give it 110% to get it restored.
it has good compresion just needs some TLC.
i like the look of the motor and its simplicity classic and built to last.
Any fool can throw money and get a brand new four stroke, i want to be a real boater when i finish the outboard and the boat i will have paid in blood sweat tears and many sleepless night. But this will be mine :D

F_R

Supreme Mariner

OK guys, the 60hp originally was a Gale motor, 1960-63. Then Evinrude and Johnson resurrected it in 1964, under their brand name, selling it alongside their 75hp motors. In 1966 it got battery ignition and fixed jets. In 1968, it made 65 hp. By 1969, it was gone--replaced by the lighter, more efficient 55hp looper that would run circles around it.

So to answer the question, 1964 and 1965 had adjustable high speed jets, and one of them is what the subject motor is here. At least we got that narrowed down.

The 60hp has a smaller bore than the 75hp, but same stroke.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Thank you FR. You jogged the old memory. Now I remember the smaller bores on the 60 HP also. Thanks again.