towing tube

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I have a 1989 Spectrum 1700 with a 85hp force OB. I am interested in installing a Ski Tow to pull tube for my kids. I am having problem as I heard people said that I cannot install ski tow with a Out board. the only choice I have is to install a Ski Pylons. is that true? if not. do i need to install 2 ski tows so that the rope is balance in the center?

retire2disney

Seaman Apprentice
Re: towing tube

I think one of these would be your best option. can get right here on iboats http://www.iboats.com/Water-Ski-Pylons/dm/*******.586502073--**********.124599971--view_id.217689
38614_944542.jpg

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

A simpler solution would be to use one of these between the stern eyes.
http://www.iboats.com/Airhead-Self-Centering-Tow-Harness/dm/*******.981148768--**********.233217796--view_id.38991

EDIT: most pylons warn against using them for tubes. This is because the drag created by a tube puts alot more stress than they are designed for.

Depends on the eyelets. Most eyelets aren't designed for towing stuff, they are far too low to the waterline. ESPECIALLY while towing a tube, you end up with the rope in the water the entire time if you use a harness.

I know quite a few people that have spent many years towing tubes off a tripod mount almost identical to that one, even on a bayliner!, without issues. Doesn't mean every boat is the same though, just depends on the thickness of the fiberglass and how much backing is behind it.

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

You can probably use the stern eyes anyway; just watch when you are feeding out the line, or idling.
Pylons and their braces take up a lot of room. Start with the eyes and change if it doesn't work. Watch other boats in your area to see what works. About the only thing that won't work is tying off to one eye; you have to be centered.

Filter the advice you get: are you dragging around some 8 year olds, or competing in slalom skiing? then do your cost/benefits analysis. Ignore people who say "the ONLY way is to...."