35mercury 84' trouble whats next?

757 fisher

Recruit
hadnt ran for a few years. replaced fuel line from tank to motor. new fuel filter. new plugs . has started a few times and ran a little rough. used sea foam carb cleaner / carb looks clean. hasnt started in a few days . even with starter fluid. did notice today that gas was dripping out of the front of carb. after trying to start. last time i had it started it seemed to be running good. i tried adjusting the throttle the best i could to get it to idle in N. had it idling in N last time it started but that was a few days ago. anyhow what would be the next step on getting it right. thanks alot for any advice.

RLT III

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 35mercury 84' trouble whats next?

It's best to use gas/oil mix vs starter fluid when trying to crank sounds like your getting fuel if it's dripping out of carb which sounds like a leaking needle seat in the carb which will flood the combustion chamber during cranking causing it to be real difficult to start

757 fisher

Recruit
Re: 35mercury 84' trouble whats next?

thanx for your help. yeah it smells flooded. does this mean that i need to rebuild carb. used the sea foam carb cleaner not enuff. dont mean to sound ignorant just havent done much work like this. gotta start somewhere though. can you buy a hole new carb or cheaper to rebuild one? thanx for any advice