Wal-Mart battery.......anyone else had a problem??

V4 Johnson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I guess I'm not sure if I have a problem or not.

I bought an Ever Start 29 series battery at Wally-by-Golly last month. I installed the battery but left the grounds unattached while it sat. Two weeks ago I took the boat to the river and ran it for 3-3 1/2 hours. A depth/fish finder is the only electronics I was running. When trailering the boat stalled and the starter would not engage the flywheel (115 Johnson O.B.). It spun but didn't engage. I popped the cover off the motor, finger engaged the gear and finished trailering. I disconnected the grounds again and went home.

Saturday I had a stereo installed. The stereo guy said he checked the battery in the boat and it was at 10.5 volts. I can't think that, if the battery was good when I got it, that 3 hours of run time would discharge it that much even if the alternator was not working at all.

Does something sound fishy with this battery?? :confused:

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wal-Mart battery.......anyone else had a problem??

who knows how long it was sitting on the shelf. I would have charged it up first before taking it out. And then charge it after using it.

backyard mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah that... charge it up over night at least. Once charged up, leave all your stuff connected to the battery with the power off on all electronics. You shouldn't loose power from sitting a day or a week. If it does you LIKELY have a wiring problem not a battery problem.

If you have doubts perform a battery draw check or... take it back and get a new one. Make sure they test the new one before they give it to you. If it is found bad remember this, Wally world doesn't make batteries. They may have their name on one but they don't make them. There are battery manufacturers that are better than others and you get what you pay for. :eek:

Jerry

Bondo

Staff member

I can't think that, if the battery was good when I got it, that 3 hours of run time would discharge it that much even if the alternator was not working at all.

Ayuh,... My guess is, the motor is Drawing, but Not charging....

Brand New batteries come from the store Charged, but Not Fully charged....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You didn't say that you charged the battery upon initial installation. That is a mistake to start with.

I agree that your outboard is probably not charging it, either.

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

We need battery details. Was it a cranking only or a marine deep cycle combo?

How many reserve minutes does it have?

Johnson controls makes WalMart batteries I believe (they make A LOT of private label batteries).

I have a cranking battery and will get a true deep cycle battery for trolling and accessories.

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

I agree, I never use a battery with out putting it on the charger overnight and getting the "charge complete" indicator.
I have been doing a bit of work for Johnson Controls and never realized that they are the largest battery manufacturer in the US! So regardless of what name is on the battery, its a good chance it was made by J.C.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ditto to Ric and Mr. Crabbs. JCI does indeed make the Walmart batteries as well as many others. JCI is the sole supplier to both Walmart and to Sears for "automotive and similar type batteries" (namely marine).

http://www.jsonline.com/business/83454852.html

TerryMSU

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I been using their deepcycles for trolling for years, mostly because you can get a replacement 24/7, and you're never far from a wallymart. Still, been satisfied overall with their performance, I think a pretty good value for the $$$.

It would take more than one day for the fishfinder to make a measureable dent in the battery.

Let's see, you used it once, and didn't recharge it before using it again a month later? That right there is a problem. But not a 10.5 volts problem. 10.5 volts is so completely dead, that it's been permanently damaged.

My opinion: it was either mostly discharged when you got it, or else it's faulty. Doesn't matter which, my advice is the same either way: take it back for a free exchange.

And test your alternator.