Free craigslist outboard 1982 4 hp

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Picked up the little beauty last night.

l_00663010c892460c94ec30d9e96953f1.jpg

After getting it from the guys back yard, and into the back of my truck, and the 30 mile drive home, and putting it in the garage. I went to check it out this morning. Opened the garage door and was welcomed by a gathering of wasps! (ok like 3 of them) So after immediately running away like the coward I am, I came back with a can of raid, and went to town on the place. Along with the other outboards i had picked up a few days prior. There was a tiny tiny little nest inside the cowling of the new 4hp, I went ahead and emptied the can into it. why didn't these things attack last night?! or get blown away on the freeway? So I now call this thing the WASP-rude

And the raid didn't kill them, they just shivered a little and flew away very fast, never to be seen again. At least I hope.

So Its not the kind with the built in tank, I kind of wish it was, as it would cause less clutter in my 8' inflatable, but oh well. I looked on ebay, but nothing. I scratched the cowling up pretty good kicking the outboard to make sure there weren't anymore friends inside.

Its missing come carb parts, The guy said it was running a little rough, so he did a tuneup and carb rebuild, then it wouldnt run at all, so he was working on the carb, and lost the parts, and never found them.
The 'tune up' was done with some nylon/graphite core wires, instead of solid core, so there is absolutely no spark.
I tried finding a complete carb via ebay, but only some. which, is still more than I have. So with the ebay carb I'm watching, and shop.evinrude.com, it'll cost $60 in missing parts to get this beauty complete again, + water pump, lower fluid & O-rings, spark plugs, etc etc Think its worth it?

l_8e45a5fa5d1a4031a3b5649e589ac9b2.jpg

Compression checks out at 120 in each cylinder. which I find odd and a bit high, as my low hour 1974 4 hp, puts out 80.

also, there is a switch on the side, that my other 4hp doesn't have, whats it do? It looks like it would be a shift lever, but doest take anything out of gear.

l_aa7579f5655844e6b1d673c77e5dd2dd.jpg

Rick.

Captain
Re: Free craigslist outboard 1982 4 hp

Never use raid straight out of the can.. Always pre-mix it 50/1 for your 2 strokes. Just pulling your leg. Good on you . I hope it turns out to be a fine motor. Best of luck. Rick.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Never use raid straight out of the can.. Always pre-mix it 50/1 for your 2 strokes. Just pulling your leg. Good on you . I hope it turns out to be a fine motor. Best of luck. Rick.

Good one! :)

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

:D:D:D

That is pretty funny, I lol'd

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It looks identical! Thats cool, the little thing looks like it moved your boat pretty good. even with the drag of the 85 hp being down. Maybe it is worth fixing...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Heck yeah it is! I loved that thing. It planed our little tinny with just my 12 year old (at the time) self in it :D Super easy to carry around too.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

to get it complete, with new water pump and carb kit, with out even touching the ignition system, is:

Subtotal =$105.20

also, not including:

0308554 SCREW,Detent to lever $34.28 USD

which hold the throttle Detent (what ever that is) to the throttle lever. Thats way to damn much for a screw, even if it is made of gold.

So, should I fork over the money, and JB weld / home depot hardware for the missing screw. or is the engine just not worth it?