engine tag says AQ130D/280 but out drive says its a 270

Ucee

Cadet
I purchased a 1976 Glastron 16 ft bowrider with a Volvo Penta AQ130D/280 but the outdrive is a 270. I have been experiencing over heating problems at low rpms Ideling speed and soon as you give a little throttle the temp climbs up. I checked the Impeller in the Raw water pump it looks like new But very little water goes out exhaust. i cleaned out the strainer it looked good. I checked the house in back at top of out drive it wasnt leaking. I read another post I'm going to take off the intake hose from pump and clamp it to raw water pump and place the other end of hose in a bucket of water and crank it up to see if water comes out of exhaust. any other info would be greatly helpful as I am new to boating this is my 2nd boat in 7 months got rid of my other because it was too small after a month out on lake.

captmello

Captain
Re: engine tag says AQ130D/280 but out drive says its a 270

If you don't know how old the impeller is, change it. "Looks good", doesn't eliminate that from being the problem. Where the S hose connects on the intake fitting on top of the intermediate assembly needs to be removed and the fitting checked for corrosion.

Ucee

Cadet

ok I will check those out and will call local boat yard to see if they have a new impeller in stock. man this is a major head ache got family raring to go to lake but if it runs hot no good for tubing lol..... thanks alot for the advice..:)

Ucee

Cadet

Well I took alot of suggestions and tried numerous things. And The problem was a cracked intimediate housing, and it was in the area where the water travels up to the water strainer and pump. So I called the boat yard and they are going to replace the outdrive for me so many thanks to all who helped me.
:):):)