Valve adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobler5

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1991 OMC Cobra. gm v6.

Awhile ago I was getting water in my oil. My head gaskets were leaking. So I pulled my heads off and changed them. May I mention I had gotten alot of water in the engine. After this I put everything back together as the repair manual said. Than I ran the engine on muffs and changed the oil quite a few time til there wasn't that much water left in there. Every since than I have not gotten my engine to run right at the lake under load.

Heres what happens at the lake.....I will take the boat up to around 2000 rpms and run it at that for maybe a minute or 2 and the engine will start to lose its power and eventually die on me. The more I do this I start to notice certain symptoms. 1.) Theres white smoke coming out of the breathers on the head covers. 2.) Theres quite a bit of back pressure coming out of the carb. after it dies. (Sounds just like a pop can opening) and there is white smoke. 3.) After it died one time. without doing anything else I went and took the #1 spark plug out and it did the same thing. It was like a pop can opened when I took the spark plug off.

I am thinking its got alot to do with the value adjustments. I can not get them adjusted right after I had the water incident and changing the head gaskets. I've done what the book said. (tighten the bolt til the push rod has zero lash than do a full turn) make sure top dead center and do certain ones etc. etc....Than I did what a mechanic told me to do. Do it with the engine running and losen til you hear ticking than tighten til you dont hear it anymore than a full turn.

Nothing is working...Is this my problem or what do I need to do? I have no clue what to do anymore..I hope I gave you enough information. Any help would work! Thanks!

followme21

Seaman
Re: Valve adjustment

Possible timing issue? Did you mark the dist when you removed it? Maybe your a little off alowing some unburnt fuel to stay in the cylinders.

cr2k

Captain

Cracked block or heads or Manifols

a70eliminator

Captain

Sounds like you have a crankcase ventilation problem, ie. the vacuum break symptoms (pop can).....
You didn't by any chance pu ta new chrome oil cap on without opening the knock out did you, I've seen that done before.

dobler5

Seaman Apprentice

I still have the same oil cap on. its original. My timing is good. I checked that out. Not a problem there.

How will I know if my heads or block or manifolds may be cracked?

dobler5

Seaman Apprentice

I still think my problem has something to do with my valves not being adjusted right. With water in the engine I think just messed my engine all up.

anderl

Recruit

hi i need help too with my valve adjustment its a penta 4.3 liter gs with this numbers i found on the engine gn 14097298 /type 434aavppmda / serial.nr.41101014697 do i need to adjust the valve or not ?
please help

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome aboad anderl
You need to start a new thread of your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.