Merc 115 hp 6 cyl not starting - water in carb?

gregtobin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1977 Glassmaster with 1973 Merc 115 outboard. For fuel, I use three 6-gal tanks placed under the transom.

At the end of last summer, I switched tanks out on the river and there must have been some water sucked up from the tank as the inline filter looked a little milky and then clogged. I was not able to restart and paddled back in. Once home, I cleaned out the fuel lines, installed a new filter, and tried again with new gas. Wouldn't start or cough. Sprayed ether into carbs and then it would start, but not run - only runs long enough to burn the starter fuel.

Finally got to work on it this weekend and I'm still at the same stage. The engine starts with the starter spray and runs like a champ for 3-5 seconds (I spray into the carbs, then walk over and start it - I can't reach far enough to spray while cranking.).

will now look for new fuel lines, filter, and bulb and fresh gas.

Any suggestions? I was going to remove the carbs to see if they were gunked up, but figure that I should hold off on this until I get advice. I have three carbs. Maybe the middle one would be the most likely problem?

Thanks!
Greg

njrextreme

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Merc 115 hp 6 cyl not starting - water in carb?

I have a 1977 Glassmaster with 1973 Merc 115 outboard. For fuel, I use three 6-gal tanks placed under the transom.

At the end of last summer, I switched tanks out on the river and there must have been some water sucked up from the tank as the inline filter looked a little milky and then clogged. I was not able to restart and paddled back in. Once home, I cleaned out the fuel lines, installed a new filter, and tried again with new gas. Wouldn't start or cough. Sprayed ether into carbs and then it would start, but not run - only runs long enough to burn the starter fuel.

Finally got to work on it this weekend and I'm still at the same stage. The engine starts with the starter spray and runs like a champ for 3-5 seconds (I spray into the carbs, then walk over and start it - I can't reach far enough to spray while cranking.).

will now look for new fuel lines, filter, and bulb and fresh gas.

Any suggestions? I was going to remove the carbs to see if they were gunked up, but figure that I should hold off on this until I get advice. I have three carbs. Maybe the middle one would be the most likely problem?

Thanks!
Greg

DONT USE STARTER FLUID ANYMORE. If anything, use some pre-mix gas and spray a little in. If its firing up on the spray, you have a fuel problem. Do you have a primer ball on your 3 tank setup? Do you have gas dripping out of the carbs when its primed up? Do you have a oil injection system or do you add your own oil to the tanks?
Nick

gregtobin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the warning about starter spray.
I do have an in-line priming bulb. When I pump it, I do not see gas dripping out of the carbs. Should I?
Thanks
Greg

gregtobin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sorry to be incomplete..I have the gas line connected to one of the gas tanks at a time and switch to the next tank when I run out or run low. I mix the gas in the tanks - no oil injector.

gregtobin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Problem solved. Just for follow-up. I replaced the fuel lines and bulb and the engine started pretty easily.
thanks!
Greg