Newbie need help, 10 hp montgomery ward won't start.

williamson

Cadet
Hello all and thanks in advance for any help that you can give me. I purchased a 10 hp Montgomery Ward motor that won't start. The guy I bought it from said it ran when he put it up 5 years ago. He had it kept in his garage. After taking the couling off the motor it looks relativly clean. I does have spark and the plugs look very clean. One other thing is that the decals on the tiller are faded. I think I have it in the right position when trying to start. Can anyone till me the correct position the handle needs to be in. The only thing it has done is backfired. Thanks alot for your help

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Newbie need help, 10 hp montgomery ward won't start.

Hello all and thanks in advance for any help that you can give me. I purchased a 10 hp Montgomery Ward motor that won't start. The guy I bought it from said it ran when he put it up 5 years ago. He had it kept in his garage. After taking the couling off the motor it looks relativly clean. I does have spark and the plugs look very clean. One other thing is that the decals on the tiller are faded. I think I have it in the right position when trying to start. Can anyone till me the correct position the handle needs to be in. The only thing it has done is backfired. Thanks alot for your help

No one can tell you anything without more data. Over the years MW has sold motors under their Sea King label made by many different manufacturers. The Model # identifies the actual maker of the motor as well as year model to those who are familiar with them or can do the research. Pics ALWAYS are helpful if not mandatory.

The oldest joke in the antique outboarding hobby is the phrase "It was running great when it was stored". Which might well range from last year back to 1917. But you can bet that unless the ENTIRE fuel system was drained completely prior to storage that a motor will need a complete fuel system cleaning----and I'm talking about from gas cap vent to reedplate.
Your description is typical of a fouled fuel system.

You said it has spark. Well there is spark and then there is sufficient spark. A good ignition system should jump a 3/8" open air gap with a blue-white spark. The acid test is will it do it under compression. Horror Freight has very inexpensive testers for checking spark under compression.

Even with good spark and fuel delivery the third necessity for ignition and good running is good compression. Compression gauges are available by internet, mail or across the counter at your local auto parts center.

'START' is normally at about 50-60 % of the full range of throttle adjustment. If not exact (if you'll pardon the pun) it's a good starting place anyway.

Provide the needed info and someone will try to help. Tom

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Backfiring can mean that someone before you put the plug wires back on wrong. Check the wires, usually there is a metal band on one of them...that one generally goes to the top cylinder. Sometimes the band says TOP on it.

williamson

Cadet

Sorry, I forgot to give the year of the motor. I believe it is a 1975. The model # is 62110 and the serial # is 57x20051. I will double check the plugs. It is a Sea King. Can anyone tell me the correct position of the tiller handle when trying to start it. The decals on the handle are faded. I could post pics if it would be helpful. Thanks again

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Motor is a Chrysler. Most outboards have a stop in neutral that keeps the throttle below wot and is safe to start there. Just compare the position in forward and neutral.The motor will start in any reasonable position. advance it fully and retard to about 3/4 to 1/2.If you look under the cowl note where the carb starts to open and set it slightly open.
Crossed wires is an excellent tip.More than likely if it is wired correctly the fuel system is probably gunked up.Usually requires service from tank to carb.

williamson

Cadet

Thanks everyone for the help. I really appreciate it. I will let you know what I get figured out.

williamson

Cadet

Hey guys, I have another question. I am trying to order a carb kit and I am not exactly sure what I need. I went here on iboats searching for parts. I put in chrysler and then beside the 10 hp there were a bunch on number under the model # that I did not understand. Like 100 ha, 101 n8b. Anyone know what that means. The model # of my motor is VWB 52110. Also I tried to upload a pic, but I couldn't get it to work. Thanks