Regal Rush-Sport Jet 90 questions?? spark and starting out of water

dmball

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all, this is my first post of this forum. sorry if it is in the wrong forum section. I got a 94 regal rush with a merc sport jet 90 a few weeks ago and it has run great for about 10 hours I have used it. I put it in the water yesterday and it would not start. Fired up once for about 15 seconds. Now it just cranks over with no cylinders firing. I did a quick spark check and found no spark. I am going to try and get a flush kit fitting tomarow so i can start it out of water to be able to diagnose my no start concern. Now my questions I have.

1. If my engine is not running but I am cranking it to diag. the problem. Do I turn the water on to the flush kit when it is cranking but not running? Or turn it on once it starts?

2.When I try to diagnose my no spark concern. Is a mac automotive dmm rated at 1000volts cat3 going to work the same as a dva?(I am an auto tech and got a new dmm for hybrid vehicals) I am not sure what a dva is? I am a boat/2 stroke newb lol

3.I have a clymer sop manual. But for a no spark concern should I first unhook the black/yellow wire from rev limit box and try it? seems to be common from some other post I have read. Any other quick checks I should make?

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Regal Rush-Sport Jet 90 questions?? spark and starting out of water

OK here we go ! :D First of all I need to know which stator you have , black or red . Black stator will have a blue and red wire coming out from the flywheel and connecting to the switchbox , Red stator will have green/white and white/green going to an adapter and then a single blue going to the switchbox. Unless you have the CDM conversion in which case you will not have a switchbox , so post that up also.
Here are the steps for the red stator (most popular) if you have a black one post it and I will send diag and readings for it .

1. Check all grounds.
2. Check battery voltage , You need at least 10.2 to fire a CDI system.
3. Disconnect the Black/Yellow wire from the switchbox and check for spark.
4. Disconnect the yellow wires from the voltage regulator and check for spark.
5. Ohm the stator . Green/white to White/green , Post results.
6. Ohm the trigger , check each wire individually using White/black as your ground . First to brown , then to purple and finally white . Post the readings .

REMEMBER !!! Never run this boat out of the water without a dealer type flush kit hooked up with just water flow , NO PRESSURE it will get into the engine !

As far as the meter , no idea , DVA tests come later so do not focus on that right now.
Yes you can crank the boat without a flush kit but be sure all plugs are out and there is no chance of the boat starting. To run the boat you must have the flush kit . Get me this info and I will cover other things as we progress.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oops , sorry , BTW , Welcome to Iboats !! :D

dmball

Seaman Apprentice

1. Check all grounds. ---ALL GROUNDS CHECK OK. DONT THINK I MISSED ANY
2. Check battery voltage , You need at least 10.2 to fire a CDI system.---I HAVE 12.46 VOLTS
3. Disconnect the Black/Yellow wire from the switchbox and check for spark.---NO GO! I TRIED THE BLACK/YELLOW FROM REV BOX AND SWITCH BOX NO LUCK
4. Disconnect the yellow wires from the voltage regulator and check for spark.--NO LUCK STILL NO SPARK
5. Ohm the stator . Green/white to White/green , Post results.---I HAD 8 MEGA OHMS(8,000 OR 80,000 HAHA CONFUSED ME) OHMS I THINK
6. Ohm the trigger , check each wire individually using White/black as your ground . First to brown , then to purple and finally white . Post the readings .
---BROWN-1.08K OHMS
---PURPLE-.785K OHMS
---WHITE-1.22K OHM

Well I did those checks. What is the stator resistance spec?...looks like mine is prolly way over. My chylmer manual does not have the correct wires listed. I have the red stator. Has it been updated thus incorrect schematics? Do I have cdi or cdm ignition?

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wow .. need OHM readings on the 1k scale , stator should be 500-700 ohms , Trigger should be 800-1400 on all wires , So even if your stator reading is 800 ( ie 8000 , 80000 as you posted) It is bad , And your trigger is really close at 796 on one wire the other 2 look good but I would replace it too . Please confirm readings , repost and I will give you the part numbers you need .BTW are the magnets on your flywheel ok ?

If your wires from the trigger go to a box and then Green/tracer to the coils you have CDI
It your wires from the trigger go to connectors that go straight to the coils : CDM

dmball

Seaman Apprentice

I goofed...My bad, I think I checked resistance of stator wires to the switchbox not to the stator. I just re-checked them and I now show 643 ohms. I was rushing I must have checked the wrong circuits. I started to pull the flywheel off just now and my bolt puller kit just broke! So flywheel is still on as of right now.
So it looks like my stator is good accoding to the resistance?
Im at a loss now. I talked to the guy at my local mercury shop today and he said it sounded like the rev box going bad. I was hoping it was but I did'nt get so lucky.
Thanks again for all the help

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Retest the trigger and post results , early triggers needed to be at 1100 - 1400 ohms , you could have one

dmball

Seaman Apprentice

I just checked them again
White-1.2094 k ohms
Purple-.7770 k ohms
Brown- 1.0776 k ohms
Do I need to remove the triger and retrive part number to know if it is out of spec? After reading thru my manual I have found it to be almost usless for IGN Diag.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Your trigger is bad ,
Merc part number 817029a9
CDI aftermarket 134-7029-3 (only aftermarket brand I trust)

Call Iboats parts store for their availability .

dmball

Seaman Apprentice

Here is a pic of what I am workin with
004-4.jpg

dmball

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks man, So you think the low resistance reading on the purple wire will cause a no spark on all cylinders? I dont know what else to check but I guess thats a good place to start. I just dont wanna start throwing parts at it.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

First of all you have a CDI system , the black box is the switchbox
The trigger readings are out of spec for mercury but 2 are in by aftermarket standards . The difference in the OHM readings spells trouble !!! the purple wire is out of spec in all diag specs so you need a trigger !

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

BTW , looking a the pic is the 20 amp fuse blown ? The one on top of the voltage regulator ?

dmball

Seaman Apprentice

I checked the fuse. Has power on both sides

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Must have been the angle in the pic , It will not kill spark just the accessory circuit and it will mess with charging.

dmball

Seaman Apprentice

Got the flywheel off. One magnet has a chunk broken off of it. And stator has some small scuffs. Guess I will try to epoxy magnet back together and clean up the stator. I am having trouble finding a replacement flywheel online. Gotta love it! lol
stator004.jpg

stator.jpg

Untitled.jpg

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The latest mercury part number for the flywheel is 859241T10 . I really doubt the epoxy trick will work on a magnet broken in two pieces , they tend to change polarity . I may know somebody that has a like new one for sale , I will contact him and see .

If that is all the damage that was done to the stator it should be fine , just clean up the one spot that looks like it got peeled up a little . Sand it down to even.

dmball

Seaman Apprentice

Idk the magnet is sticking in place pretty good by itself. It hasnt fallen out when the engine was running. There isnt a gap between the magnets. I spaced the broken peice out just for the picture. I will give it a shot with some good epoxy. But if you know of one for a good price I would be interested.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Should hear back from him sometime today , I will keep you posted .

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

BTW I did hear from the flywheel guy .. 210 plus shipping .. it retails at 276 . It is brand new it was the wrong flywheel for his boat and he just installed it a few times to check spark.