impeller change alp1 genII

intrepid

Seaman
Hi

I've owned the merc for 10 years and have decided to do an impeller changeout. I know you guys say do it every year but I was retriculant cause I never had the engine temp go above nominal. The boat is a 95 and this may be it's first impeller change. I got an impeller kit Mallory 948313 here from iboats. This kit makes me wonder if I should maybe xchange more parts than just the basis minimum that the kit includes for an impeller change.

What other parts or kit should I get to do a more thourgh change out , you know other small parts that may be worn out , or is this good nuf for now ?

This is a northern boat that only gets used about 30 hours a year

advise etc.? thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: impeller change alp1 genII

Hopefully no one suggests changing a Gen II imeller every year. Won't hurt anything, but a real waste of time and money.
As a rule of thumb for my customers in salt water is after 3 or 4 years service.
Shouldn't take more than the impeller, gaskets, and face seal if the housing or wear plate are not worn.
You may need to buy a face seal and installation tool from a Merc dealer as they are not included in aftermarket impeller kits. But they do come in OEM kits

fossill

Chief Petty Officer

And whats your general rule of thumb for fresh water?

intrepid

Seaman

Mallory was outa stock but its just with these parts

http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...&gd_poid=110874&gd_row=4&**********=001669704

also do you have to put in the perfect seal and 3m adheasive stuff when you do this ?

one other question does the oem kit 47-43026q06 ( which has the face seal ) contain the height adjustment guage ?

think I'll get it as it has more items all packaged together .
I'll keep the mallory for the next change out in a year or two

many thanks

opps general rule change the impeller when it's not -30 C below
that leaves me 4 months ;) each year - when not on boating time ..

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Mallory was outa stock but its just with these parts

http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...&gd_poid=110874&gd_row=4&**********=001669704

also do you have to put in the perfect seal and 3m adheasive stuff when you do this ?

one other question does the oem kit 47-43026q06 ( which has the face seal ) contain the height adjustment guage ?

think I'll get it as it has more items all packaged together .
I'll keep the mallory for the next change out in a year or two

many thanks

opps general rule change the impeller when it's not -30 C below
that leaves me 4 months ;) each year - when not on boating time ..

The Quicksilver O.E.M. kit does have the plastic tool for setting the sling seal...and you can keep it in your toolbox and reuse the seal more than once.

For what it's worth: my '05 went for almost 5 years before I replaced my impeller, and the original one looked fine and I never have seen the engine go past 175 degrees...before or since.