Starting issues with 1988 Johnson 120 hp outboard

kagary

Recruit
I inherited a 17 ft MonArk with Johnson 120 hp (Model #J120TLCC; Manufacturer #7738123) from my parents. The motor is a dog to start and I was wondering if someone could walk me through the normal starting sequence. On the throttle unit, there is a silver toggle at rear (choke?) and a throttle lever that raises from the throttle unit. The engine is oil injected - no mixing of fuel required.

The boat is in great shape - but the motor is driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Starting issues with 1988 Johnson 120 hp outboard

If motor hasn't been run that day, squeeze primer ball until firm.

Raise fast idle lever somewhat, push key in, holding key pressed inward, turn to start position and release once it starts, continue pressing key inward intermittently until motor continues to run on its own. Allow to warm for a couple of minutes, lower fast idle lever and go.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

If motor hasn't been run that day, squeeze primer ball until firm.

Raise fast idle lever somewhat, push key in, holding key pressed inward, turn to start position and release once it starts, continue pressing key inward intermittently until motor continues to run on its own. Allow to warm for a couple of minutes, lower fast idle lever and go.

That's exactly how I start my 90, works every time.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The 1988 120 is a QuikStart ignition. Follow the starting instructions in the owner's manual for best results.

You may want to check that the toggle switch is actually working the primer solenoid, which is the device located next to the fuel pump and has a red handle.

kagary

Recruit

Sincere thanks to all for your rapid and helpful replies! Will give it a try this coming weekend.

kagary

Recruit

Update - Finally got to the lake this weekend and had no trouble firing up the motor! Sincere thanks for your help!