trim tabs and hydrafoil?

dirtdiver

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a 20ft cuddy cabin and it came with trim tabs and no hydrofoil. When I get it up on plain it start to tilt to the port, the trim tabs correct it but only to an extent. My question is, would adding a hydrofoil fight with the tabs or would it correct my problem? The boat sits level in the water when not moving or moving at slow speed. Any ideas?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: trim tabs and hydrafoil?

Any ideas?

Ayuh,... Figure out WHY it's doin' it...

A foil will probably cause the bow to Plow, Badly....

dirtdiver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im pretty sure the boat came with one in the first place, but the previous owner took it off after installing the trim tabs. So Im asking if the foil not being there could cause the problem.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

NO FOIL! Figure out your weight balance issues/bent skeg etc before you throw money away on a future dog toy! You have tabs, make them work,learn to use them and balance your boat. Foils stink.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

seriously NO FOIL.... the boat absolutely did not come with a foil on it.... someone may have added one and someone else may have removed one

If you can't level the boat with the tabe then either they aren't working properly, you aren't using them properly or you have something very wrong with your hull.... once on plane your tabs should be all the way up and only lower the one on the side that the boat leans to just enough to level.... You also need to trim the drive for best ride and speed which is also gonna be quite a ways up from the full down that gets you up on plane best