1988 OMC 2.3L power loss and smoke

Disco SD

Recruit
I have a 1988 OMC 2.3L and am having some challanges with power and smoke. The motor will start fine and idle just fine and will not smoke. When the power is increased it will run fine for a while then the motor will loose power and start to smoke. I had it in to the shop and they replaced the plugs and they said it ran fine in the shop. Took back out on the water, and the same problem ocurred. The compression is good and there is no water in the oil. Can someone help out and or give some sugestions as to what may be happining?

Regards

Disco SD

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1988 OMC 2.3L power loss and smoke

Ayuh,... Normally, I'd say Carb, Fuel Filters, Fuelpump,... The Smoke, I donno...

What's the Temp, Oil Pressure, etc. doin',..??

Disco SD

Recruit

The Temp, and Oil Pressure all seem fine. At least that is what the gauges read.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What color is the smoke? Are u sure that the engine isn't overheating? Are any of the hoses leaking?

burger932002

Recruit

I have a 1995 3.0l volvo penta with the same problem. I took it out this weekend and it ran fine for about thirty min then all of a sudden no power and smoke. I couldn't tell where the smoke was coming from but there was alot and it was white. It has a little trouble starting now but when it starts it idles good and revs great but when you kill it it kinda backfires.

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check the timing. That would explain the backfire.

You might also want to pull the timing BELT cover and check the belt. I had smoke and backfire because the belt had jumped a tooth. Replaced the belt AND the tensioner, retimed and problems were gone. That was on an 89 OMC 2.3L. After retiming the engine (previous owner had it at 10 degree retarded) to factory, it ran fine with some backfire and somewhat hard starting. But it would backfire once in a while, hence checking the timing belt and finding it had jumped.

If you need to replace the belt and tensioner, check out the replacements for the 2.3 Ford Ranger. I think it is the 84. NAPA was able to get me the kit for about 50% of what the "marine" version ran. Exactly the same parts under different numbers.