xr6 no compression update "pics"

dave2092

Seaman
Well cracked the head open to finally see what the heck was going on. I had some time off so here are some pics. I will be rebuilding myself with help of a friend. Boat mech. wanted aleast 3g's just for the piston and ring job. I really don't want to replace all pistons just the rings and piston #1 and #3 if its not broke why fix it. Any tricks to decarbon the good pistons?

Attachments

• pics 092.jpg
    pics 092.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dave2092

Seaman
Re: xr6 no compression update "pics"

If anyone is interested in this post. I will be documenting this rebuilt with info and pics. Any tips from anyone would be helpfull. Stay tuned...:)

dave2092

Seaman

The outboard is a 1993 Mercury Xr6 150.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

cant tell by the pics,kinda out of focus.
does your engine have chrome plated cylinders?
if the bores are chrome and damaged you have 2 choices.
send the block out and have it rechromed,merc used to offer this service for about 1200 dollars, or resleeve it and use pistons designed for cast iron sleeves.
if the liners are cast iron already simply bore them and use new pistions.
I prefer to do all six at the same time.
while its apart find out why it ran lean and detonated that piston.

dave2092

Seaman

well motor was sitting for a few years. also the oil feed line and the return were cracked were they come out of the cover. the were covered did not notice intil oil was leaking out. here is a better pic.

Attachments

• pics 091.jpg
    pics 091.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 0

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The oil line did not do this, if it had all 6 cylinders would have been damaged and from the piston picture it looks like a wrist pin bearing failed and caused detonation. I'll bet cylinder walls are damaged and will have to be bored oversize and be careful on your pistons as the 95 came with 1.5 or 2mm thick rings so measure before ordering.