Gravity feed fuel to Holley 2 barrel carb

shaners101

Cadet
Hi,
I had salt water run though the fuel pump and carb. After cleaning the carb Im trying to get it to run with fuel fed by gravity from a header tank. Should this work? I ask as it doesn't seem to work and I am wondering have I the carb setup probably that this is stopping it from working? I can get a squirt of fuel in to start the engine but it will not draw fuel in to keep running.
Setting up the float hight on the 2 barrel holley 2300 carb is a problem as it dosent seem to have an inspection hole on the float chamber.
Do these carburetor need a fuel supply from a fuel pump to work?
I'm not using the mechanical fuel pump as it was rusted inside and I need to rebuild it.
I was wondering what checks I should do on the pump to ensure its working before I rebuild and reinstall it? Blow/suck though the pump inlet/outlet? Are there checks I can do before I assembly the fuel pump?

JJJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Gravity feed fuel to Holley 2 barrel carb

I doubt it will work gravity feeding, probably easier to just go get a cheap electric pump from the auto parts to use temp..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you had water IN your fuel pump, you can bet you have water (and corrosion) inside the carb as well. Which is probably the reason gravity won't work, it should.

Bondo

Staff member

Gravity feed fuel to Holley 2 barrel carb
I'm not using the mechanical fuel pump as it was rusted inside and I need to rebuild it.

Ayuh,.... My question is,... Exactly,.. What are you trying to accomplish,..??

Set the carb aside,+ replace the pump...

The floats are meassured,+ set, by the book, no window necessary...

a70eliminator

Captain

To answer your question directly yes the gravity feed system should just fine on your holley, it wouldn't supply enough fuel running under a load but for idleing in your driveway yes, so if it doesn't work you still have carb problems.

shaners101

Cadet

Hi,
Carburetor is spotless. I cleaned it with carb cleaner and a tooth brush. I blew compressed air through all channels and rebuilt with a rebuild kit. Interesting that the gravity feed should work but cant get it to stay running even manually closing the choke!!
If I crack open the trottle with the engine not running I can see the squit of fuel from the accelerator pump and few drops of fuel from the main jets.