15' Swanpoint C.console renovate, advise??? please (pics)

Truefire

Petty Officer 2nd Class
preparingtopickupbowofboat1.jpg

P1030305.jpg

Hey guys i am preparing to paint the lowerhalf of my Swanpoint 15' center console boat. The bottom has some battle scars obtained throughout the years.

The bottom area that contacts the bunkers is really in need of painting created by i suppose sand and grit that possibly has been in the carpet fibers. This area underneath the boat is really scuffed up, almost to the fiberglass.

Any advise on the procedure and a good paint for a boat such as this that will not be residing on the water all the time such as a sailboat or such. So do i really need the high-end, expensive non-fouling paint to paint the bottom portion of my boat?

Or could i get away with some other good quality paint that will leave a durable finish that is not quite as expensive?

Any advise, help and suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks guys,

Chris

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Paint attempt 15' Swanpoint C.console, advice??? please (pics)

So do i really need the high-end, expensive non-fouling paint to paint the bottom portion of my boat?

Ayuh,... For a trailer boat, $20. a gallon Rustoleum works just Great....

Truefire

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How exactly would you prepare the surface, i understood it to be somewhat of a common sense approach but like anything there is a science behind most projects such as this.

I noticed somewhere up here on the forum that there is some type of primer or finish that one might need to await until it becomes tacky to the touch then the original finish paint painted on at that point to create an effective bond.

Could anyone clarify on this, maybe i have misunderstood some info somewhere or such but i just need to know some of the ins and outs of same to ensure that i don't have to re-do the project a few months down the road.

That would be real ugly.

Any suggestions on a specific type of paint that has it's own self - leveling features.

Boredom thanks so much for the input about the rustoleum, i have that retained and will use that resource., thanks. buddy

thanks, Chris

Coho Ghost

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Truefire,

I just painted the face of the transom on my boat, after rebuilding it. I used standard Rustoleum gloss white thinned with 2 oz. for Penetrol to 16 oz. of paint. The Penetrol helps the paint flow out smooth. I sanded the old gel coat real good, and then rolled on a coat of paint with a fine sponge roller, and then "tipped" it with a good quality brush. Tipping is nothing more than lightly whisking the DRY brush tips evenly over the rolled paint. You kind of smooth down the rolled texture. I was amazed how smooth and glossy the finish comes out. From a short distance off you would think it is a sprayed job. The only problem I had was finding the Rustoleum would not dry over the epoxy base fairing I had done. I cleaned off the tacky paint and primed the surface with Rustoleum automotive primer, and things worked fine. Its really pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it.

Coho Ghost

Truefire

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Coho Ghost,

Thanks a bunch bro, sounds good, i am gonna do a little more research and absorb some more input and then make a decision. I would more than likely go this route if all i had was a small portion. However i am planning on painting the whole shell of the boat.

I am not sure how this rustoleum would spray being i haven't much experience in the arena of this style of painting.

Thanks for the input, i really do appreciate it.

Chris

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

I used petit easypoxy for my bottom and top. It's about $28 dollars a quart and they don't recommend the boat being in the water for more than 2 days if you use it on the bottom. They have a primer that is called undercoater. My bottom paint can be found on pages 28-31 in my thread below. My top paint I did a video on with my roll and tip method. I also have alot of info on it on pages 41-43. Here is the link to the roll and tip video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_lCTXF9fJw

I couldn't be happier with the way the paint turned out. PM me if you have any more questions.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Check out my thread in my sig....

Truefire

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I appreciate the info on the Pettit paint system, i may actually go that route for it seems to be a really good paint and very easy to work with and manipulate.

Any of you guys ever really painted a boat outside before, just curious how the whole insect in paintjob ordeal worked out for you. Obviously i don't have a workshop large enough for my boat, i might could squeeze it in there that's about it. LOL

So it will be painted out side, i guess i'll paint smaller portions at a time and like the weather, watch my bug forecast.

Thanks, Chris

Truefire

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 15' Swanpoint C.console renovate, advise??? please (pics)

Hey guys i have a slight problem that may be a large problem. i have discovered a weak spot underneath the bottom of my boat where the boat sat on the bunker board.

It occurred right near the end of the 2x4 apparently by possibly bouncing on trailer as being in transport or such, not sure. It appears as if the frontal end of that bunker board was a little too high and put a lot of weight possibly in this one area.

The area paint will open up a little when pushed up in this area and is someone soft. You really have to apply pressure with both hands to get a response but there is a problem there.

The inside deck is an all one piece solid deck and i could park my pickup on top of it, it is so solid. I am wondering though if the stringer in this area is broken or if this area has occurred between two stringers in a hollow area.

Not sure right now.

Is there anyway to potentially repair this without disturbing the deck and surgically repairing the area.

I'll try to get a picture or two up here tomorrow (Friday 11) sometime to reveal the exact area.

Thanks a million for your help guys.

Chris