intermittently won't get up on plane

86 charger

Cadet
Hello, I have an 18 foot bass boat with an 86' mercury xr2 150 2 stroke. More often than not, it will not take off and get up on plane. Sometimes when I increase throttle to take off it will die. Sometimes it will push water but not break over on top. It will usually idle, but rough and sometimes hard to start when it is acting up. Sometimes if I really slowly increase the throttle until it revs up I can get it up on plane. I just replaced both switchboxes and it did not repair the problem. It also has a new trigger, but did not change anything. Someone told me the wiring from the battery to the starter could be old (1986 original) and rotted and not be supplying enough current to the motor. Is that a possibility? If not can you please give me some ideas to help me figure it out.

It idles and revs fine out of the water, but my tach. does not go down to zero when off. The tach. sticks at 1000 rpm.

Thanks for the help.

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: intermittently won't get up on plane

You said you replaced the trigger, but did you replace the stator at the same time?

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

I would think it sounds like a fuel issue.

Dukedog

Captain

I would think it sounds like a fuel issue.

Probably so. Could be anything from tha tank to when it squirts inta tha motor and/or everything in between...............

And no, ya don't have ta replace both unless both are bad...............

86 charger

Cadet

No, I did not replace the trigger. I was planning on changing the primer bulb. Should I go ahead and change the fuel line with it. I have inspected it and it appears to be good shape, but the bulb is deteriorating and it leaves black on my palm when I prime the motor.