1983 Evinrude 150 HELP!!!

The motor ran fine when I first took it out this year. About 2 weeks ago it started real hard and once running was bogged right down but finally gained its power back. The next weekend I took it out, it did the same thing but this time no power. At full throttle it would barely move across the water. I was told to check my fuel filters, and to check the diaphrams in the pumps. I replaced the diaphrams and gaskets on both fuel pumps. Took the boat out yesterday and it started harder then usual and once running had the same problem with no power then it shut down. Now once I do get it started it runs for about 30-45 secs then shuts down. Sometimes it will idle fine but once i go to put it in gear and open the throttle it will cut out, but most the time it idles then shuts off. Where do I start? What should I do? Really hoping to get back out on the water soon!!!!

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 1983 Evinrude 150 HELP!!!

Sounds ignition related, have you checked for spark all cylinders?

AlanR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you clean your carbs this year?

Daabeast

Cadet

I had the same issue with my 1980 evinrude 175. I ended up having to rebuild all three carbs and while there I went ahead and replace all 6 coil packs to make sure i got good spark....

Engine purs now....just have tilt and trim issues....

I did check for spark and everything lit right up fine. Havent cleaned the carbs yet I'll try that next. A buddy said it sounds like its not getting gas once it starts up. Also the primer bulb doesnt stay firm once running, is that normal or should it stay firm?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Put an inductive timing light on each plug wire when it is acting up. It will show misfires, weak firing and no firing. The fuel hose primer bulb will get hard when you first prime it to start the engine when cold. As the engine runs, the bulb will feel soft, but should not collapse.

Havent done the timing light yet or cleaned the carbs. But I did find a small hair line crack on the side of the top fuel pump. It is just big enough for gas to spray out when I squeeze the primer ball, and it sucks air in when i release the ball. Could this be part of the issue?

Also where my my shifter is theres a button on the side that isnt labeled and theres is a knob that can be turned that says throttle control. what exactly are these two things? and where should the throttle control knob be positioned?:confused:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If you have a crack in the fuel pump which will let fuel out, it probably also is letting air in. That's a bad combination-the extra air can make the engine run lean. The throttle friction control is a sort of brake which will hold the throttle at a specific setting-if you were going on a 10 mile run, it would help hold a specific throttle so you did not have to constantly hold the throttle handle. You can set it as tight or as loose as you want. Have you checked the compression since you had this latest problem?

No compression test yet, hopefully this weekend when I do the timing light. I got the crack sealed and got the motor running today but had to hold the choke in for quite a while to keep it running. When I let go of the choke it would run good for acouple minutes then start to spit and sputter til I pushed the choke in again. The motor sounded like it would gain and lose power on and off until it shut off. I added some heet to the gas tank last night to try and get rid of any water that may be in the gas(stewarts is know for adding water to there gas around here).If i pull the carbs off today is there anything I need to be carefull of, and should I buy new gaskets or will the ones on there be ok? Also, the motor fired right up on the first try now that the crack is sealed. Does anyone know what part number I would need to replace the fuel pump(s), they are worn off on the old ones? I would rather put new ones on and now have to worry about the crack!!

ok so the crack is sealed up, added heet to the gas, and adjusted the timing and spark enhancer. the motor now fires right up like it should i the start postion but is idling very high. when i drop the lever down to fast idle it slows down a bit and idles decent. once i drop it down to run if i dont engage it into gear within 20-30 secs the motor will still spit an sputter and want to shut off. but when i put it into gear it runs like a champ. any suggestions?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Are you adjusting the idle on the engine while it is floating at normal rest in the water? If not, all idle adjustments are meaningless. 650-750 rpm when in gear, floating in the water. It will idle much higher on the trailer. You can check for any parts/part numbers you may need online at the Bombardier parts website: epc.brp.com.

Ill have to get it in the water this week and see what happens. But so far everything is running better then normal. I did the carbs today, they werent that bad really so well wait and see what happens. Thanks for all the help!!!!