Help with forming stringers to hull

jimmywayne

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone. Im rebuilding a 86 SeaRay Seville bowrider. Im new to this. Im the greenhorn to boat building i would say. Im rebuilding the entire boat transom stringers and deck. The stringer intersects the chines at the front of the boat. The stringers before was the consistency of potting soil with earth worms slithering in the boat. I had a continous fish bait system. LOL But Anyway i couldnt use the old stringers as a template since they were mush. So i used the post and scribe method to trace the stringers. As thats how Ooops used that method to build his stringers. So I went to install the stringer in the boat and it did not fit. So i cut the area around the chine on the stringer to where it would fit. Im afraid i cut off to much now as i got a little careless with the saw. I know that the stringer shouldnt touch the hull as there will be pressure points. Im going to bed the stringers when i install them for good. The gap around the chine to stringer is about one inch. the stinger fits the hull good rest of the way. I was planning on using PL adhesise to bed the sringers. The question is should the stringer wood go into the chine with the exact shape of the hull. or could i leave it like this and fill the one inch gap between the chine with peanut butter. Would peanut butter fill this gap? I could see a 1/4 inch but an inch seems like alot to me. Or should i just leave the gap between the chine how it is now and wrap it with glass? I appreciate any advice very much. Have a good day.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Help with forming stringers to hull

Just fill it. It will be fine.

jimmywayne

Seaman Apprentice

Hey 109jb. Thanks for the reply. It makes me feel better about that. i just wasnt sure how big of the gaps you can fill with that stuff. This is my first full boat restore and i wouldnt have had the knowledge about boats until i came to this forum. You know i dont even think SeaRay has their stringers formed to the hull that good. It appears they built the floor and the stringers together as an assy and set the whole thing in the boat. 1/2 plywood for stringers?! i was expecting more than that. Well its lasted many years how it was. By the way thats a very clean restore on your ray. Mine is very similar to yours. Mine is an I/O though. I love the way you done the floor. Mine has the access panel for the fuel tank. I think it looks alot cleaner without it. I love the ski compartment as well. Great job on the upholtery too. again thanks for the reply. Jimmy

lrcustom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jimmy,
On my 87 Sea Ray the stringers follow the hull well at the bow and at the stern.
I had the same issue about mid point at the tank forward to the console. The chine quits and is flat aft. and i wound up with about a 3/4" gap. I used a little peanut butter mix to lower the bottom of the stringer but I first took some PL and set a bed below the stringer and when that hardened up some i filled with the PB mix. This allowed me to get a better fillet to the hull when I tabbed in the glass. Hope this helps.

LR

jimmywayne

Seaman Apprentice

LR Hey i appreciate the advice on the technique on how to do it easier. Thats a great way of doing it. So how is your ray coming along? Ive been thru your thread and seen your boat. Nice job on the restore so far. Thanks again

Jimmy

lrcustom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I need to update my thread as it's been awhile. I only get about 2 hours a day in the evening to do any work but it is getting done. All the bow wood and glass is done, the consoles are back in position. I am ready to set the new floor just waiting on my US Composite order for resin and glass. Engine was set back in last week was only out long enough to fix rear stringers. That's about it. I have pics just need to download off camera and upload to photo bucket. I share my camera card with my wife so no more explanation needed there. I am going to push for "Splash" on the July 4th weekend. If all goes well I will make it.