What is a "load distributing" hitch?

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
On my u-haul hitch, it says 5000 with normal ball, and 7500 with "load distributing" type. What is this?

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: What is a "load distributing" hitch?

The term I have heard used more often is a "Weight Distributing Hitch", but it's the same thing. It's a type of hitch where, through the use of chains and torque arms, the back of the tow vehicle is lifted up as the tongue weight is applied, transferring weight to the front of the vehicle. Not common with boat trailers, much more common in the RV world.

Bifflefan

Commander

It is a special reciever that has places for 2 spring bars that transfer some of the weight to the tow vehicle front axle.
You have seen them of RV trailers, they are the 2 extra bars from the trailer to the hitch, some also has a sway control shock on them.
Here is one.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So if I need to pull a 25' boat that weighs more than 5300LBS then I need one of these? I assume the trailer is at least 1500 lbs. So I assume I will be a little over the 6500 total.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

That would be correct. An upgrade is in order. Be sure you check to ensure the 6500 pounds in within the towing range of the vehicle before investing in a new hitch.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer

If you have surge brakes on the trailer, a weight-distributing hitch will make them much less functional. I know because I tried it once.
Apparently the transferred load from the bars affects how the surge sensor reacts.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Not always true, Fun. Mine uses chains to load the spring bars which also allows for full movement at the coupler. The thing to watch out for when getting a weight distributing hitch is to get one that accommodates surge brakes. Many distributing hitches are intended for RV use with electric brakes and don't allow much play for the coupler to slide.

robjen1019

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look up equalizer hitch. they make one that doesn't use chains. I have one on my trailer with surge brakes, and it doesn't seem to effect the braking. However, the trailer pulls like a dream.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Keep in mind that the "receiver" is not different than any other receiver. The ball mount is what is different for a weight distributing hitch. It provides a place to mount a 2-5/16 inch diameter ball as well as the spring bars. That ball mount, spring bars, and snap up brackets for the trailer must all match.

TilliamWe

Banned

I don't like to do this, but I am going to direct all of you to another website. On trailerboats.com there is a post by a guy named Cary, with the word treatise in the title. it will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about weight dristibuting hitches as used on pole tongue trailers (that's what boat trailers are.) Read it, learn it, know it, live it. ;)