New guy here - 6HP Evinrude 6502M - carb question

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello ALL - and sorry for such a LONG first post.

I've been lurking and reading here for a week now and decided to join.
(BTW - some of the links in the stickys do not work.)

I just purchased a "broken" 1965 Evinrude 6HP Fisherman Model 6502 that left a man and his wife stranded in the middle of a lake one too many times.
"It ran great and just died one day, couldn't get it started again so I bought a new motor". Thats all the history I have on it.

Good news:
Motor turns freely, has compression, has spark, prop turns in both forward and reverse when cord is pulled. It looks to be in great shape for being so "old".

Bad news:
Somebody attempted to rebuild the carb from the new gasket I can see
... and could not get it back running again.
Fuel pours from the carb when fuel line is connected ...I think by the amount of rust flakes and debris in the tank that came with it the needle is not seating/ jets are probably blocked and or the carb float assembly is not adjusted or rebuilt properly.

I haven't looked at the oil in the gearcase, honestly I'm not sure which screw(s) I need to remove until the service manual I bought arrives.

I wanted to ask about the proper procedure for removing the carb. It appears that I can remove the "starter cord recoil assembly" and access the carb. (There are only 2 nuts holding the carb on once I get the linkage apart, one of which is perfectly concealed by the "starter recoil assembly".)

P.s. does anyone have a diagram of a wooden motor stand I can build that works? (The sawhorse I've got it on just isn't sturdy enough.)

Many thanks for your reply!

Last edited:

Rick.

Captain
Re: New guy here - 6HP Evinrude 6502M - carb question

If you look hard enough you can find almost anything on this site. Haven't found any cake recipes yet but I'm not about to say they aren't here. Have a look at this link for a stand. Best of luck. Rick.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=266570

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Rick.

Any ideas about removing the carb?

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just took the carb off mine today. (I realize this is an old post, but I feel it's a good one to reply to). Manual says to loosen the two top starter assembly bolts and tilt it to the side. Then you can access the port carburetor nut. That's what I did and it worked well. I was careful not to let the spring go "BOINGGGG!"

Clem

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Has anybody found a good source for parts for these Pre-'68 evinrudes and/or Johnsons?

I need a gearcase seal set as well as some carburetor seals for mine.

Clem

Putzaroni1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure if anyone does know of a source but I'm about to pull apart my "new to me" 1965 Evinrude Fisherman 6hp.
I see that shop2.evinrude.com only goes back to 1968.....
I have the parts catalog and the service manual but can't find anywhere to pickup parts so far. Certain things are available through Sierra Marine but I don't see in the catalog any numbers for say for an example a carb kit.

Any ideas would be awesome !!

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

Marineenginedotcom has some of the older parts.

AlTn

Commander

your BRP dealer will be a ble to get a number of things as well