2001 GE Side By Side Refridgerator Water not dispensing.

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Good day to everyone,
I am not to happy with my new to me 20 cubic foot, GE side by side refrigerator. The water will not dispense from the front door where you get the water from in the door. Now the ice maker will make ice just fine and it cools just fine also. I brought this side by side refrigerator from a Reconditioned Appliance store and the guy has been out twice to look at it because the water doesn't dispense. The first time he came out he said the electronic circuit board in the door that controls the crushed ice, full ice, and the water dispenser was bad so he ordered a new one and came out today to swap it out. Well, it is still doing the same thing and he blamed it on that the water bottles are frozen and that is why the water will not dispense. After he left my house I went and took the 2 mounting screws holding the water bottle up on the non-freezer side and sure enough the water in NOT frozen because water moves around inside of it when I turn it back and fourth or turn it upside down and then back upright again. I think this guy doesn't know what he is doing. So I went ahead and pushed the paddle in on the door and I can here it click on the back side on the other circuit board in the back so I am thinking the water valve is bad that feeds the water coming in from the house side to the water bottles. There is two lines coming off that water valve in the back of the fridge in the lower left corner, one going to the ice maker and a second one going to the water bottles inside the non-freezer side. Do you experts think the water dispensing side of the water valve is bad? Let me know because I am very not happy with this at all. Let me know, Bob

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 2001 GE Side By Side Refridgerator Water not dispensing.

Not sure if this will help but when we moved in here had the same problem , Ice but no water , Turned out to be a filter inside the refrigerator side that was clogged.

PS congrats on CPO status !

mike243

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the watervalve is the most common problem,open both doors & take the kickplate off,the water dispencer line goes thru the frezzer door hing,take it loose & make sure the door is shut,hold it over a bowl or towel & hit the dispencer paddle,if water comes out the fill tube is frozen in the door,if no water put a new valve on it.i was a service tec for 9 years with sears & have fixed many diffrent makes & models,aint none of the parts cheap for a GE,mike243

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Last night before I went to bed I pulled off the front door kick panel and disconnected the quick disconnect thingy that connects the line to the front water dispenser and made sure both doors were closed and had my wife depress the paddle on the water dispenser in the door and nothing. Then I went around the back of the fridge and unplugged the connector going to the water valve and put my volt meter on AC volts and had my wife press the paddle and sure enough I have 119 volts going to it every time the paddle is pressed and lose voltage when the paddle is released. Now the ice maker side of the valve I removed the plug and I have 119 volts but seems it is always there, the voltage I mean. The valve has two solenoids, one for the ice maker and the other going to the water bottles inside the fridge. I am not even a technician and troubleshot this thing on my own. The guy that came out didn't even check things with a meter, makes me wonder.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Typical of new mechanics and techs...... replace this....replace that and very little diagnostics with the proper tools..... we see it all the time in car garages

Bifflefan

Commander

On the bottom of the door (ice and water side) there should be a hose going to the water dispenser. it goes through the hinge of the door and can get a kink in it. remove the toe kick on the bottom of the fridge and see if there is a hose there with a connector, shut off the water to the fridge and pop the hose apart then get a pan or something and turn the water back on. if water comes out the hose may be bad in the door or the hinge area. if no water then the hose is bad between the spliter and where you are.
When you push the water button and hear a click, that means the siwtch and soiyniod are working fine, but no water pressure to make it come out.

Hope that helps you out.

Bifflefan

Commander

Last night before I went to bed I pulled off the front door kick panel and disconnected the quick disconnect thingy that connects the line to the front water dispenser and made sure both doors were closed and had my wife depress the paddle on the water dispenser in the door and nothing.

Guess i should have read all the posts before making mine.

The hose between the disconnect and and where it splits to the ice maker is plugged. I know that sounds obvious.
Id just abandon the old hose and run a new one from the ice maker split to the disconnect at the door and call it a day.