Why does the brand new VHF quit

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Installed a Uniden basic vhf radio last night and when I checked the local weather channel everything worked fine....today when making the permanent install I fired up the unit (fine)....tuned to weather (fine) and then about 10 seconds or so into the broadcast I lost the voice....power remained on and when I shut down the unit and repeated the process the exact same sequence of event took place. Any ideas or suggestions?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Why does the brand new VHF quit

Squelch turned up too high?

Reel Deal

Cadet

It might have a noise filter built in and you may have to turn it off. Just a guess.

themaniam1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1. Connect to a direct power source and not tap into hot wire. A fuse box will also work.

2. Ground directly to the battery.

Those are my suggestions.

Good luck.

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Went back out....checked all the connections and discovered that in hooking it up permanently I had not attached the antenna! Guess what....the darn think can now receive! works fine....the older I get the dummer I get....

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Don't be to hard on yourself, we have all made mistakes. At least this one didn't cost you anthing! :D

Gohot

Cadet

Well it's good of you to follow through and tell of the 'cure' for others to reference. Don't feel bad, I, yes even 'I' have done some bonehead stunts, but I try to go ahead and admit them, someone somewhere will find the info useful trying to troubleshoot their problem.