vynlcleaning

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer
So today there was a can of sunscreen in the boat that had been there a while. I tossed it on the vynil to throw away and some paint from the can scrubbed off and now we have a blue stain on white vynil. Anyone have a cleaner that will get this off. We tried normal cleaners 409. 3m vynil cleaner and the admiraless used something that wasgiven to us not sure of the brand. Thankd

commander315

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: vynlcleaning

Try some spray nine....if not just try some armor all

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Try some spray nine....if not just try some armor all

Clorox Cleanup...keep Armor All off of vinyl. It is a petroleum distillate and will dry out the vinyl and it will start cracking a year from now.

labrat

Recruit

Clorox Cleanup...keep Armor All off of vinyl. It is a petroleum distillate and will dry out the vinyl and it will start cracking a year from now.

G'day what would be a good product to use on a vinyl canopy that has gone hard and brittle to soften it a bit and also shrunk ..Any advice appreciated .....regards ..Bob ....Sydney australia ..

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The EXTRA POWER magic eraser works and since I used them on my seats .....I am a believer.

204 Escape

Ensign

I read that if you take a bar of IVORY soap, and shred it, and melt it in hot water, THEN use it on a boat tarp/cover, it will clean it.

IT WORKS !!!

I used a piece of plywood, on 2 sawhorses, and a medium stiff brush. I wet the tarp/cover down with water, then put some of the mixture on the tarp/cover, and scrubbed, rinsed, let dry and re-installed it to the boat. (Do both sides of the cover). LOOKED BRAND NEW !!

I don't see why you couldn't use liquid IVORY though.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

G'day what would be a good product to use on a vinyl canopy that has gone hard and brittle to soften it a bit and also shrunk ..Any advice appreciated .....regards ..Bob ....Sydney australia ..

Use your local upholstery shop. Once the top has gotten brittle, there's nothing I know of that you can do to bring it back. I've also been an upholsterer for 17 years.

I'm also sure that the Ivory soap thing works...c'mon... after all...it IS soap!!

labrat

Recruit

Thanks for that ,I will have to get some quotes to replace the vynil using the old s/s tube work ..... maybe try a different material this time ...regards ..Bob

commander315

Petty Officer 1st Class

They make a special armor all for vinyl...It works great...the magic eraser is a good idea too

mattb1974

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"magic eraser", in your cleaning supplies isle at the hardware or grocery store