Alpha 3.0 that may have bad boots

bmac417

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 93 Bayliner Classic with a Alpha 3.0. Took it out today for a few hours and noticed I took on about a gallon of water during our ride...came home and notice the boots or bellows on the outdrive do not look that great the small one (shift rod?) appears to be broken. So I think that may be the source of the leak!! How had of a DIY project its it and how expensive is it to do?!!! Going to Norris lake next month and gonna leave the boat in the water for the weekend so I really need to get this fixed. HELP?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Alpha 3.0 that may have bad boots

Ayuh,.... It's abit of a Knuckle Buster of a job, but quite Doable....

Bifflefan

Commander

Parts will be about 156.00 here at the iboats store. that also comes with a new gimble bearing. you may or may not need that. Maybe 100.00 with out it.

As for doing it, there are a ton of posts with some great info. read a few of them first, then tear into it.
You will need a hinge pin tool (or 1/2 inch allen wrench) a razor blade, a flexable extension with a 5/16 socket and a 1/2" ratchet with a 1/2" socket, you may need a propane torch also. other than that, golves and time is all that is required.

there are some good vids on you-tube, and some bad ones.

Plan on the better part of the weekend to do it, if it your first time.

Around here the charge 85 an hour and there is not set time for doing the bellows. it can be 4 to 5 hours labor plus parts.

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

You will also need an alignment toll.

bmac417

Seaman Apprentice

ok...thanks for the help...looked at youtube...it looks tough...but not bad. Could I wait till the end of the year to do it as long as my bildge pump is on auto and working ok.....I was going to service the lower unit at the end of the season anyway

Cptkid570

Ensign

I changed mine and I really don't recall the parts being over $100 unless you want to change everything in there. First off, your exhaust bellow isn't going to leak water in. So, if you are just looking for something quick, change your U-joint bellow and the little bellow over your shift cable... But, the thing is.. while you have it all apart, it's not a bad idea to change everything..

Bondo

Staff member

Could I wait till the end of the year to do it as long as my bildge pump is on auto and working ok.....

Ayuh,... Sure,.... Roll the Dice.... Odds are, You'll Lose...
And,...
The longer you wait, the more Expensive it can get....

Cptkid570

Ensign

I think you should find your water source before tearing anything apart too. It may not be a boot, maybe your Y-pipe corroded and is leaking... more likely to be the boot though. Stick it in the water with everything open... make sure everything is quiet, bring a small mirror with you for those hard to get to spots...and look and listen.

bmac417

Seaman Apprentice

100 percent sure its the boot...I can see the shift cable boot is torn in two...

Cptkid570

Ensign

I'm not sure about this, but you may be able to change the shift cable boot without removing the outdrive... everyone can chime in on this.. i'm just thinking that if you raised the outdrive all the way up, you may be able to get to that boot enought to remove it, pull the shift cable out of it, slide on a new boot, attach the transom end of it...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just remember when you are searching for information on how to change the bellows. You have a GEN II outdrive. Quite a bit different than a lot of the guys posting think you have.