spark plugs and ect

jeffw0038

Seaman
I need to change my spark plugs and spark plug wires on my omc. My question is this.

Can i use regular automotive plugs ans spark plug wires on a marine engine or do i need to look for marine ones?

Also i may need to change the distributer cap as well, does that need to be marine or is regular automotive ok?

I know some things really need to be marine parts but just really not sure.

Thanks for the help
Jeff

Bondo

Staff member
Re: spark plugs and ect

Ayuh,... You need the distributer cap,+ plug wires that Fit Your Igntion system....
It was Never used on a Car....

fossill

Chief Petty Officer

Use marine parts so you dont blow your boat and yourself up from igniting stray fuel vapors.

jeffw0038

Seaman

Thanks for the feedback, wasn't trying to sound ignorant, was not sure what i could use and couldn't use.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

If you do a search on this forum for "marine spark plugs" you'll get quite a bit of good background information and some explanations.

toolsinbox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First with the plugs. you cant go wrong with NGK unless you get the wrong ones. Check the gap.

Second with the wires. If you buy the off the shelf auto stuff they may not be long enough as marine exaust manifolds are larger. Go to a auto specialty store and ask for 8.5 mm Taylor silicone jacket wires that you custom cut to length and crimp the conectors yourself. They come as a kit. Not expensive either.

With your cap; you need to take that with you and match one up. Pay close attention that a marine cap is sealed as to not let fuel vapors inside.
Or BOOM.

Hope this is some help to you.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Stay with marine wires....they are usually longer to fit around the manifolds.
AC brand plugs you can't go wrong with.

Look at ebasicpower.com,they have nice 8mm wire sets for OMC as well as the correct cap and other tune up parts.

jeffw0038

Seaman

Thanks for the replies. glad i asked a few questions, i didn't know marine dist caps had seals, good to know!